SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started getting banging about halfway home today from the LH rear of the car, very consistent and loud. When I got home, this is what I found. The rear shock punched through the mount due to rust. I put new shocks on a while back and tried to use some large fender washers on each side of the hole, as it looked rather suspect then as to its integrity. Don't know if that helped or hurt. I don't know anyone that welds or if I can find someone locally, or if there is even anything to weld to that is not already rusted. The other side is still intact, but doesn't look much better. I located patch plates available, but so far only ones I can find are in U.K. I see there are multiple posts about this issue. Open to any ideas or help. Thanks.

Automotive tire Gas Rim Bumper Household hardware

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
I wouldn't start looking for repair options until you get it up in the air and have a thorough look at common rust spots. It's possible the issue is isolated to the shock mount, but probably more likely there are other areas. You could around to some body shops and find someone who will put it up in the air and give it a once over.

·
Registered
13,383 Posts
That's so common (especially on 99s) SAAB used to make a weld-in repair piece for it; it had a part #.
Any body shop can usually fix it pretty easy.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the weld-in piece but only in the U.K. Have not located any in U.S. This car came from up north (MA) originally, so rust is pervasive. The whole seam around the wheel well where you would have to weld in the piece looks very, very questionable. That's why I said I don't know if they could even find somewhere to weld to. I've been trying to keep this one going as long as I could. The bottoms of all four doors are bad, and there are holes in the bottom trunk floor well. One seat belt mount under the back seat also rusted through.

·
Registered
235 Posts
As other have said, it just depends on the rest of the car. If it still is solid enough, then either buy the repair parts over the pond, or have someone make them here. But if it is just the 1st of many failures, your money might be better spent looking for a better body or give up now before you put good money after bad trying to hold it together.
I've owned more than a few cars that I would still own if the bodies were useable, but had to let great powertrains go because the body was shot.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
Yeah, I found a rust hole big enough to put my finger through in the floorpan of my '62 Falcon once!

DROUGHT FOR LIFE.

:(

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's so common (especially on 99s) SAAB used to make a weld-in repair piece for it; it had a part #.
Any body shop can usually fix it pretty easy.
FYI, Saab part numbers for repair panel: LH 9286253 RH 9286261. Both NLA. Found multiple sources in UK that are identical part but other manufacturer.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know definitively: Do these patch panels just weld in over the existing structure, or do you have to physically cut out/remove an equal portion matching the patch panel and then weld them in? That would be helpful in determining what I need to do and if it's possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,383 Posts
They're designed as an overlay patch.
Clean off undercoat, grind out rust with a disc grinder, maybe hit it with a hand-held sandblaster, weld in patch (MIG). I'd figure about 2 hours on the lift (at a body shop) for both sides.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Both sides of mine were blown out when I bought the car. I got patch panels from eEuroparts for not much money, cut out the rot, and welded them in. They weren't the greatest fit, but good enough to tack-and-bash into place. It's not a complicated repair, even for a crappy amateur welder like me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Patch panel from U.K. on its way, right at $50 shipped. Found one of my buddies right around the corner that said he would weld it in for me. He builds street rods from scratch so pretty much has to weld everything. Probably won't charge me but I'll spring for a dinner or something. Will update again once it's completed -- hopefully!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts