SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for new rear shocks. I could go with an indie who wants to put on the eibach upgrades for $100 each, or if I really wanted to the inferior Saab ones. Total cost though is around $400-ish.

Or, I could go to Sears and get Monroes put on for $59 each with free installation. Total cost, $120-ish.

Is there any real advantage with the eibachs or even the regular Saab shocks? Saving $300 is pretty enticing.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
You do get what you pay for with shock absorbers. I seem to be in a minority of one by running Eibach Pro suspension because the kit was withdrawn from the US market a couple of years ago. Saab shocks tend to leak on the rear so i'd go with the Eibach option first and then the Monroes if cash is an issue at the moment.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
OEM rear Aero shocks are trash. Don't even waste your time.

Bilstein seems to be the way to go. Shox.com has nice packages.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mistake, Bilstein is the upgrade that is available.. same ones that are offered on eeuroparts. I understand that you get what you pay for in shocks, but as far as rear shocks go, I don't think its as important as front shocks. Obviously I dont want to put the OEM trash on it, but I mean, how bad can the Monroes be? They have a lifetime guarantee, and those are the ones specifically for my vehicle which I did mention was an aero, so I'd assume theyre capable.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
My old c900 had a decent set of "aftermarket" shocks. I put a set of OEM Boge shocks and the car transformed.

I think Bilsteins would be great; however, with the harsh ride I hope you don't have too many fillings.

I'm sure Munroe would be fine. But like it was said above, you get what you pay for.

Is the car bouncing over bumps in the back?

How has your car been? I'm looking to pick up my new (to me) 9-5 Aero on Saturday:D . I know I keep asking, I'm nervous and excited!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I personally have the Bilstein HD's, the ones that will be put on if you go the Bilstein route, and I can say I don't think the ride is too rough at all! You will be very impressed with how they perform. They actually are a very soft ride, but they have variable dampening which means they harden in performance driving scenarios or hard breaking. I really noticed a HUGE difference over OEM.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah but, were your OEM's shot out? Mine are bouncing all over the place, yes. I think ill go the monroe route just because it is so inexpensive right now. If it turns out I dont like them, hey I didnt pay that much right?

woy, I still love the 9-5. You wont be disappointed :)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
sethsev7n said:
Yeah but, were your OEM's shot out? Mine are bouncing all over the place, yes. I think ill go the monroe route just because it is so inexpensive right now. If it turns out I dont like them, hey I didnt pay that much right?

woy, I still love the 9-5. You wont be disappointed :)
Yeah mine were trashed.

I always have thought that doing it right the first time is the best way, but it's up to you! :cool:

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well looks like I'll be getting the Monroe's. $57 each, $20 for install, and $94 for alignment.. total of $258.09.

If I were to get the Bilstein HDs, it would cost me $200 more through an indie Saab mechanic.

I'd love to get the HD's, but money is tight right now. I have a feeling that the Monroes will at least be sufficient in performance. We'll see.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
The rears wear out way faster then the fronts. The only danger in doing the rears first is that then you'll think the fronts are way too soft and want to do them too....

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
sethsev7n said:
Well it looks like I actually can't get the monroes. Looks like i'll be taking the costs of new bilsteins to the rear.

Any damage done in just doing the rears and not the fronts? The fronts seem OK for now..
Nah, in fact, I ran my rears only for a couple days, and that's where I noticed the biggest difference. You'll prolly wanna upgrade your fronts at some point because you'll still notice much better handling. But it's not like the front will flop around at all.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
gto47 said:
tirerack sells the rears for 80 bucks apiece. somethign to consider
He wants the Bilstein HD's though.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I know that the Monroe's are cheaper but check it for the bilstein HD I think you will be spending $60 more dollar at least for the two back..and trust me i am a student so I know how your feeling right now but for a extra $60 I dont think thats a lot.. http://eshocks.com/bil_veh.asp?Model_Index=2Q4&Manf=All&SubChar=Q
Not that bad huh?..dude I was contemplating for while b/c I have the 00 lpt I was thinking of getting the Aero package that eeuroparts was selling but i think I will keep saving and get something that will last so i wont have to go and respend if you get what i mean. But hey man the end decision is up to you.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
gto47 said:
This is exactly what they sell...
Oh my mistake, I figured it was something else at $80, considering how cheap that is! I wonder if the rears are cheaper than the front? I'm sure they are actually, the fronts are MacPherson and they put quite a bit of technology into 'em. If you look closely, you'll notice that they actually designed the shock so that there is less unsprung weight in the front! And you really notice when it comes to handling on rough roads.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, i noticed that I can buy Bilstein HD's for a good price, only $60 more for both of them over Monroes.

However, installation at Sears is only $20, compared to $200-250 worth of labor I've been quoted around this area to put them on with customer supplied parts. So in the end, I am saving a considerable bit of money.

Unless someone here in the norcal area can help me install rear shocks in exchange for a case of beer... :D

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
sethsev7n said:
Yeah, i noticed that I can buy Bilstein HD's for a good price, only $60 more for both of them over Monroes.

However, installation at Sears is only $20, compared to $200-250 worth of labor I've been quoted around this area to put them on with customer supplied parts. So in the end, I am saving a considerable bit of money.

Unless someone here in the norcal area can help me install rear shocks in exchange for a case of beer... :D
Honestly, it is one of the most straightforward things I've ever done on this car, minus changing the bulbs... :p

I can send you pictures from the WIS if you'd like, there are a couple fairly cheap tools you will need to complete the job. The back ones are the easiest ones to do.

After you get the Bilstein HD's installed you will kick yourself for thinking that any other shock would do. :cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
I can send you pictures from the WIS if you'd like, there are a couple fairly cheap tools you will need to complete the job. The back ones are the easiest ones to do.
SectorNine,
I would appreicate the WIS, and a list of the tools. PM me if you don't mind. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts