SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2009 Saab 9-3 2.0LT XWD and the two read shocks are done and need to be replaced. My mechanic found the right airshock but with a price tag of $1200 each. That is definitely too much for me right now.

After some scouting on Rockauto, they seem to have a few options that are not airshocks but would fit the car. My mechanic said that hydraulic shocks but would cause an error message on the dash and have a reduced ride quality. Since I never even drove the car in its normal ride quality, I dont really mind having a worst ride than originally meant to.

I'm currently ordering the OESpectrum #5618 from Monroe off of rockauto
Anybody got any experiences good or bad with this shock absorber?

Thanks,

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2010 XWD just needed new rear struts and went with a set of conventional struts and springs rather than the self leveling stock struts. The conversion kit is $400 plus labor if you don’t do the work yourself. There is additional info in the Turbo X /XWD thread. You need to replace the springs if you don’t use an OEM damper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2010 XWD just needed new rear struts and went with a set of conventional struts and springs rather than the self leveling stock struts. The conversion kit is $400 plus labor if you don’t do the work yourself. There is additional info in the Turbo X /XWD thread. You need to replace the springs if you don’t use an OEM damper.

So you're saying that installing a Monroe shock absorber would change my ride height? I believe the part would be OEM as it falls under the 2009 Saab 9-3 Shock Absorber on Rock Auto.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Rockauto link shows the Monroe 5618 for a FWD 9-3. They don't list any XWD cars if that is what you have. The Monroe might fit, but the stock spring is softer than normal to take advantage of the Nivomat shock absorber. The rear end would sag if you put a standard absorber back there without changing out the spring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Rockauto link shows the Monroe 5618 for a FWD 9-3. They don't list any XWD cars if that is what you have. The Monroe might fit, but the stock spring is softer than normal to take advantage of the Nivomat shock absorber. The rear end would sag if you put a standard absorber back there without changing out the spring.
Oh I see.. I should definitly cancel my order for that shock absorber and order the conversion kit then....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im fairly sure it will fit. I have already ordered the shock absorber. Do you know if I could order the spring to adjust it to a more proper ride height or does the shock absorber absolutely have to be the one that comes in the kit?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Monroe probably will fit, but I can't say for certain. You don't need the Bilstein B4 that is in the kit. Many of the other people that did the modification prior to the kit that became available used other shock absorbers.

Not sure about the spring and spring supports being sold separately. I would imagine they would, but they don't list it that way on the website. I'd reach out to them directly to see if they will offer it that way or you can go thru the XWD thread and look at the part numbers listed there. Pretty sure the spring supports come from the GM catalog for a Buick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Monroe probably will fit, but I can't say for certain. You don't need the Bilstein B4 that is in the kit. Many of the other people that did the modification prior to the kit that became available used other shock absorbers.

Not sure about the spring and spring supports being sold separately. I would imagine they would, but they don't list it that way on the website. I'd reach out to them directly to see if they will offer it that way or you can go thru the XWD thread and look at the part numbers listed there. Pretty sure the spring supports come from the GM catalog for a Buick.
Ah okay! Thanks for the help! I just got the Monroe Shocks today from the Mail. Ill put them on this weekend and see how bad it sags. I think my car is already sagging from a previous shock change from the previous owner. Then ill look into getting the new springs.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The XWD specific kit is great. I have the lowered set up on my XWD combi. Rides great, a touch soft for my liking but I can’t complain too much. Matt preassembles the kit so it’s real easy to swap in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If the Monroes aren’t to your liking, eSaabs stuff is what I’d get. Added bonus, they have fantastic customer support

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I now have the Monroe 5618 Shock Absorbers on my car. Obviously, the rear is now sagging (Kinda Looks good)
Will the sagging cause unnecessary wear on the coil spring? I believe by sitting lower, the coil spring is more compressed and will take up more of the force when hitting a bump or pothole?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts