SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once, again I've come here in seek of some excellent advise. Does anyone know exactly what is the best OE replacement rear shocks for the money? I'm looking at Suncore, AC Delco, and Gabriel so far. Was told Rancho is good by a sales person. When should I be replacing them? I seldom haul heavy loads but just replaced air bags and didn't realize it prob. would've paid to have done the absorbers and boots at that time. I don't like the easy or practical approach obviously. Also, when should I be expecting to replace the front shocks as well?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have about 170k KM (or about 110k miles) on mine and I have not replaced any shocks yet. I haven't found the need. I've replaced almost all the bushings and I've replaced the air bags and the air compressor as well... but the shocks seem to be ok.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have about 170k KM (or about 110k miles) on mine and I have not replaced any shocks yet. I haven't found the need. I've replaced almost all the bushings and I've replaced the air bags and the air compressor as well... but the shocks seem to be ok.
Wow! Are you kidding me? My original rear Bilstein shocks were shot at 65K mi. when I bought the truck so I replaced them with same. They are toast again now at 130K but have been back ordered for 6 weeks! :roll: Getting frustrated and considering other options now.. They are not cheap! Was $140 for the pair this time.

I'll keep my eye on this post as I would like to know others experience also. The Bilstein HD (part no. 24-103336) are kind of stiff if you ask me. it handles good in corners, but sucks on choppy pavement.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Not sure why they seem to be holding out so well either. I tow with the truck on a fairly regular basis ... at least once a month with a motorcycle on the trailer across town or bringing equipment around on it once a month (e.g. BBQ's, snow blowers, etc.)

I did do a test drive on a different 9-7x that I saw for sale and it had less miles than mine and my 'ride quality' felt better than that one. So if he had OEM shocks and I do as well mine felt better given he had about 40k less mileage than mine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know exactly if my rear shock absorbers are needing replacement. Since, I bought my truck used and don't think they ever were replaced. Although, when I jump on the back it only bounces one big bounce. I replaced the air bags but didn't know there were these gas shocks as well.

So, I bought Suncore they looked like good quality. I received them already and may get to them this weekend. I'm not in a big hurry though since they seem good.
Now as with no shop or lift access; only floor jacks and jack stands. Will I be able to replace the front coil shocks eventually as well?? I've seen post reviewed on front shocks with most having it done by a shop.I suppose due to the front end being so heavy but is it easy for some one without all the shop access nor knowledge depending on YouTube to get the fronts done?

One other thing how often should I be checking or changing the front and rear transaxle fluid? Mainly not by what others have done but what does the maintenance calendar state?

Thanks Chiller and Carl for your input as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Front and rear differential every 100,000 miles. The transfer case must be changed every 50,000 miles using ONLY GM Auto Trak II available at the dealer and some automotive stores.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The front struts are significantly more work than the rear shocks… Those require a spring compressor, and it is recommended to be done by knowledgeable mechanics only. Most likely need a front end alignment when done as well.

Rears are no problem with jack stands and floor jack, just be safe. Requires some torque with rusty bolts for sure! Never take chances as I personally know someone crushed under an SUV when doing service and poor blocking failed… :(

·
Registered
191 Posts
Decided to cancel my order for those Bilsteins… Not going to wait another month, thats what I was told it may take…:eek:

Ordered a set of ACDelco 530-335 Professional Premium Gas Charged Shocks at $33 ea. on Amazon, less than half the price of the Bilsteins. Will let you know how they work out once installed! :cool:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I too wouldn't order Bilsteins these days due to so many oem replicable replacements. I was looking at those AcDelco's too but went with a $16 cheaper product that I saw going for the same price as Bilsteins from other vendors. It was a no brainer to give Suncores a try. I'm gonna plan to install them this 3 day weekend along with plugs. They are the exact same size as those OE ones.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah, I too wouldn't order Bilsteins these days due to so many oem replicable replacements. I was looking at those AcDelco's too but went with a $16 cheaper product that I saw going for the same price as Bilsteins from other vendors. It was a no brainer to give Suncores a try. I'm gonna plan to install them this 3 day weekend along with plugs. They are the exact same size as those OE ones.
Gotcha, I follow you there… Keep us posted on how they perform once installed and I will do same. Although it may be a while before I can get mine installed, as my wife has the truck out of town and I am quite ill right now. :roll:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm getting a lot of vertical travel especially in the back when going over dips in the road. Is that a worn shock symptom or worn air bag issue?

Is there a concern when going with non-OE replacement shocks for the rear in terms of having stock ride-height? Or do the air bags take care of that and is that only a concern if replacing the front springs? I recall on another thread one of our members replacing all 4 shocks and didn't get stock ride-height after it was all done.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm getting a lot of vertical travel especially in the back when going over dips in the road. Is that a worn shock symptom or worn air bag issue?

Is there a concern when going with non-OE replacement shocks for the rear in terms of having stock ride-height? Or do the air bags take care of that and is that only a concern if replacing the front springs? I recall on another thread one of our members replacing all 4 shocks and didn't get stock ride-height after it was all done.

as long as the replacement non-oem shocks are the same length as the oem shocks you should have the same ride height...

think of it this way... what's holding your car up ? the shocks or the springs ? if you say shocks then you should think again. the SPRINGS hold the car up... what do SHOCK ABSORBERS do ? they absorb the energy of the spring going up and down, hence the name shock absorber...

so take what my above text says and think about that for a moment if you have excessive movement up and down, meaning the ENERGY is not being ABSORBED into something then what is the problem ? :p :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
I appreciate the physics lesson but I wasn't sure if the principles were different with an air bag setup. This is my first car with air suspension so I thought the parts might play a different role over conventional suspensions. It never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I appreciate the physics lesson but I wasn't sure if the principles were different with an air bag setup. This is my first car with air suspension so I thought the parts might play a different role over conventional suspensions. It never hurts to ask.
LOL ... i was trying to inject sarcasm into my post since I assumed you knew everything already :p

the excessive up and down was only felt when the air bags were DEAD as in truck was FLAT on the ground the whole time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi, just curious on how the AC Delco shocks ended up.

I used Bilstein HDs about 20k ago and have no complaints.
I'm very happy with the AC Delco shocks. Were a lot less $ and the ride is really nice. May be slightly less firm than the Bilsteins, but IMO not sacrificing handling. So nice not to be hop-skipping when I hit those bumps at higher speeds in corners, not good!

Still need to do the front struts, and will probably go with the AC Delco's there also...;ol;

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.