SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been reading a technical paper about Sach - Boge Nivomat load adjusting/levelling shock absorbers [dated 2000] and one of the application slisted is the 9-5, does anyone have these? What do you think? I should imagine they'd be waggon only rear axle use.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
what is the deal with load levelling? DO I have this? How would one know?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
woywitka said:
what is the deal with load levelling? DO I have this? How would one know?
The cost of replacement shocks :lol:

Have a read of this pdf link more than you'll ever want to know.

The rear shocks are fatter if they're self levelling, the EPC does list them.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the self levelling kit and its price and I wimped out and pieced together a kit for half the price :cool: .

Some Lesjofors heavy duty springs and koni adjustable shocks should do the trick!

They just arrived at work from Partsforsaabs [thanks guys] and my desk is cluttered with car bits :lol: . Interestingly it seems these rear dampers are off car adjust rather like the Koni Classic red dampers. They also offer 2 spring location points for normal or heavy duty use which is cool. I might get a chance to fit them this weekend.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Woy:

Many types of self-leveling systems are not road legal in the US; I don't know about Canada.

I doubt that many North American autos are equipped with this system.

I don't know why. It spelled the end of Citroen here in the US, I know that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I found the self levelling kit and its price and I wimped out and pieced together a kit for half the price :cool: .

Some Lesjofors heavy duty springs and koni adjustable shocks should do the trick!

They just arrived at work from Partsforsaabs [thanks guys] and my desk is cluttered with car bits :lol: . Interestingly it seems these rear dampers are off car adjust rather like the Koni Classic red dampers. They also offer 2 spring location points for normal or heavy duty use which is cool. I might get a chance to fit them this weekend.
Hey Raptovcav how did this work out long term?
I got a 2002 wagon with 100K miles needing new Nivomat shocks, at almost $800 vs the PFS front and rear lowering kit for $600.

Did you use the PFS lowering kit or piece something else together.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Many types of self-leveling systems are not road legal in the US; I don't know about Canada.

I doubt that many North American autos are equipped with this system.
The Sachs Nivomat hydraulic self leveling dampers were standard equipment
on every 300TD/TE Mercedes wagon and Mercedes 600 limousine shipped to the
US & Canada from 1980 through 1987. And several later models.

"The idea" is an auxiliary hydraulic pump supplies pressure to a hydraulic
cylinder inside the shock. An outboard "bulb" provides nitrogen pressure
over the fluid -- like any other "outboard cylinder" shock typically used
on high end motorcycle shocks. The cylinder resists fluid aeration.

A controller attaches to the rear sway bar signalling "level" to the system; which
adds fluid to the shock cylinder until it "finds level" on a continuous basis.

The system is The Schnitzel for towing and adds 1/2T of load capacity to
the wagon bay. Its very different from the Citroen system.

--frankb

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
Frank, I think you're thinking of something other than a Nivomat system. The Nivomat shock is entirely self-contained. There's nothing outboard, no leveling sensors, pumps, bulbs, or anything else. It's all contained inside the shock absorber, so in theory, it's an easy retrofit to any car. The paper on that cadillacfaq site is an interesting read.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've never heard of leveling systems being banned in the US. Audi, SAAB, MB, GM, even KIA- all use some form of these.

Strange.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Frank, I think you're thinking of something other than a Nivomat system. The Nivomat shock is entirely self-contained.
You are correct Jeremy. My mistake. I was really responding to the
claim that self-leveling systems might be "banned" in the US.

Nivomat is an updated hydropneumatic system that uses the shock as
a pump rather than an external one. As a fan of these systems for towing
and high payload applications it appears interesting.

--f

1 - 11 of 11 Posts