SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New here, so I hope this is the correct place to post. Used the search function, but didn't find what I really was looking for.

Thing is, my mother 'bought' (simply said, the whole story involves a broken crankshaft on a freshly bought 9-3) a 2001 Saab 9-3, having previously owned and enjoyed some real Saabish Saabs (OG 900's). We'd counted on the luggage space it provides, but it seems that in order to get an acceptably flat luggage floor one has to lift up the rear seating (cushions or whatever is the right term), which doesn't allow anyone of decent length to be seated in the front anymore.

Those cushions seem to be fixed to the car base in a simple way, the only thing I see is just two pins. I don't want to destroy anything, so question is:

Is it possible/easy to detach (and afterwards reattach) the rear seating cushions from the car interior base, and how?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Removing rear seat cushion

I had to remove the rear seat cushion on my convertible in order to remove the rear inner side panels in order to mount the grommets which are needed to mount the optional convertible wind blocker.

All that being said, the rear seat cushion in attached simply by a stiff spring bar under the leading edge of the bottom cushion. Press this spring bar rearwards and the bottom cushion pops free.

I don't own a 5-door, but if the rear seats in the 5-door mount and pivot like the rear seat cushions in my 9-5 sedans, then Yes. The single pin which is viewable after swinging the seat cushions up and forward is the only attachment for the cushions. The 9-5s have a red plastic clip which is captive to the seat by a tether and snaps onto the steel pin to prevent the pin from falling out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for the response, just had a look and didn't see a red plastic clip, did see the circlip, though, but it felt quite stuck and wasn't sure it was right to remove :p. Will try again later. Thanks :)

·
Registered
10,603 Posts
There is no red clip on the NG900/9-3. That's just a 9-5 thing. You have to pop the circlip off and then slide the hinge pin(s) out. I've taken my seat bottoms off a couple of times and usually use a small metal pick or a jeweler's screwdriver to pry the circlip off.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
It's good to grab some spare clips--I think they're "E" clips--from a junkyard car, and bag and label accordingly. Those clips like to spring off into parts unknown. Fortunately the pin is unlikely to come out anyway; if you are missing the clip, no big deal. If you take the seats out very often, then leaving the clips off entirely makes sense.

·
Registered
10,603 Posts
You're right, they are E-clips. Lowe's also carries them. I had to buy new ones there the last time I took my seat bottoms out and managed to lose all of the clips.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
You're right, they are E-clips. Lowe's also carries them. I had to buy new ones there the last time I took my seat bottoms out and managed to lose all of the clips.
My former co-workers and I called these Jesus clips. As in "Oh Jesus, where did that go?" when they fly off during removal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts