SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a small "wing" or covering available for the back hatch on a 900? Aftermarket of course, thought I saw one in a pic somewhere and it didn't look bad. Just wonderin'!

thanks!

JG

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
People have tried to get them through group buys and such, but you know how group buys go....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could we market this wing? IS that someway do-able. Play up the "old 96er" angle. See if we can get people interested? I am new to this board so do not know how many members IT has. Other boards? Obviously Saab has a mold for this thing, or saab UK, any way to contact them? MAYBE the company here who will make them could get the/a mold, exclusive US rights to build, something?

I REALLY like that wing - as in just about the only body mod I want to make to my old NG minus sideskirts or that nice kit that saab had! I will help in any way I can to try and make it happen.? Do they have them on UK ebay?????JK!

JG

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
gildedsplinters said:
Could we market this wing? IS that someway do-able. Play up the "old 96er" angle. See if we can get people interested? I am new to this board so do not know how many members IT has. Other boards? Obviously Saab has a mold for this thing, or saab UK, any way to contact them? MAYBE the company here who will make them could get the/a mold, exclusive US rights to build, something?

I REALLY like that wing - as in just about the only body mod I want to make to my old NG minus sideskirts or that nice kit that saab had! I will help in any way I can to try and make it happen.? Do they have them on UK ebay?????JK!

JG
Dude, did you read the thread? Try this one:
http://www.saablink.net/TSL/saabforum/viewtopic.php?t=4569

Pretty much the only way to market these would be for you to front the 6000k dollars and then you could sell them to at least 8 people. In the UK things might be a little different though.

Edit, your not in the UK. A US member bought one in the UK as you can read ain the above post and it cost him more than 250 I think after the part price, and then shipping, not to mention the hassle!

Tboy

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Touche - but obviously we are not the only people in all of north america that might want this spoiler. Or are we? I didn't realize that every saab aficianado in the continental US read this forum.?

And yes....I read the forum link.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
gildedsplinters said:
Touche - but obviously we are not the only people in all of north america that might want this spoiler. Or are we? I didn't realize that every saab aficianado in the continental US read this forum.?

I'm just saying that lots of people who really wanted them bad have already tried really hard. And no, we are not the only ones who want this spoiler, and no not every Saab "aficianado" reads the forum, thats why I said somebody (perhaps you if you feel so strongly about it) would have to front the 6K and start selling them. Or if you want to get a group buy going without the 6K, why don't you start contacting all the other Saab enthusiasts who don't read this forum and see if they will commit to buy one. Only need like 14 more people and you are there!

Tboy

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
gildedsplinters said:

Where else are you going to find 24 people to buy an unpainted spoiler for $250? I posted here and on The Saab Link. SaabCentral is one of the 2 largest sites for American Saab enthusiasts on the internet. The SaabLink is probably, solidly, #3.
I posted on 2 of the 3 largest sites for American Saab Enthsiasts!
The topic was stickied at the top of this forum for 2 1/2 months.
:roll: I got 9-10 people?!?

What would I get if I posted at SaabNet? 2 or 3 more?!?
Where else are we going to gt people?

I contacted 9 spoiler companies. 2 expressed interest. 1 quoted a price.
Spent a lot of time trying to get this to happen... and got 10 people...
Did you read the 2 threads at Saabliink?

Good luck, my man. I gave up and bought one on Ebay-UK.
Trust me it's rare.... and I paid a bundle.
(pics soon)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh well, guess I will have to do the same. New to Saab tuning and don't have my finger on the "pulse"know what kind of market there is out there. I do hate to hear that it just won't happen!

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
gildedsplinters said:
Oh well, guess I will have to do the same. New to Saab tuning and don't have my finger on the "pulse"know what kind of market there is out there. I do hate to hear that it just won't happen!
Yeah it is too bad. There are certainly more than 24 people interested, but only a few at 250 $ each. (i am one who is interested, but can't afford 250, thats more than half what I paid for a saab catalog kit)

Tboy

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Yeah, Tboy, but before that kit was discontinued it was $800. THAT'S why you got it that cheap. ;)

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
CleveSaab said:
Yeah, Tboy, but before that kit was discontinued it was $800. THAT'S why you got it that cheap. ;)
hehehe, true, but that wing was discontinued also! I guess we missed the point where you could buy them cheap! Im sure a few remaining Catalog kits will be worth more that 380$ in a few years if there is still interest in them.

Tboy

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not a rear wing, but is there a bottom lip spoiler for the stock 97 turbo front bumper? I have seen photos of bumbers that LOOK like the 97, but have a larger lip on the bottom the kind of flares out instead of just curving back.?

JG

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
gildedsplinters said:
Not a rear wing, but is there a bottom lip spoiler for the stock 97 turbo front bumper? I have seen photos of bumbers that LOOK like the 97, but have a larger lip on the bottom the kind of flares out instead of just curving back.?

JG
There's the saab catalog kit:

Tboy

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
If you're switching gears onto the idea of the saab catalog kit, there is definatly lots of information to be found by using search. Tboy and Marks900SE had a large thread going on the process of fitting this kit to a 900. Besides that, make sure you can even buy the kit still, I know only a few were left a month or so ago.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I was looking at the Mazda's protege 5 rear hatch spoiler the other day and I was just wondering if it would fit our 900/9-3 with little modification. I also spotted some older WV golf spoilers and a new Chevrolet hatchback model but I can't remember the name.

We should always consider the fact that the 9-3 can't accept any kind of rear hatch spoiler due to the upper brake light in the way.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
The problem with using any other spoiler is the slope on the front part has to be PERFECT. Otherwise it will not slide beneath the roof and you won't be able to open the hatch all the way. It's pretty critical. I talked to the body guy about installing mine and that was his big concern. Making sure it's a perfect fit. If it's off even a bit it will hit the roof.

·
Registered
10,610 Posts
Make sure you get yours stripped before it's repainted. Mine has a couple of layers of paint on it, and even that makes it a little too tight of a fit. After leaving the hatch open for an hour while installing amps in the hatch, a 1/4" diameter circular patch bubbled up and popped off. The lower edge of the back of the roof isn't completely smooth for some reason, and some little bump pressed on the spoiler. If I ever need to get the spoiler repainted, I'll take the hatch off and sand the roof edge down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts