SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello... I just bought a 2003 9-3 yesterday and when I got home I noticed that the back passenger door will not lock or unlock unless I manually press the lock down or pull it up. The remote will not unlock it or lock it and the lock/unlock button on the door won't lock or unlock it either. The SID gave me a message when I tried to lock the car, it said that the lock failed and to contact a Saab dealer (or something to that effect). The message only occurred once though and that's it. Other than that I don't get any other message on the SID in regards to the door. Some people have told me that it's a known problem.

Any ideas as to what it could be. I called the guy I bought it from and his answer was to unhook the battery and let the car reset, which sounded fishy but I tried and it didn't work. He then said that the battery level might be low and to drive it around so it recharges (but when I bought it he said he put in a new battery). I don't trust him too much and think that he's trying to get out of fixing it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
There is an electrical connector at the door hinge. Remove it and spray some contact cleaner and re-connect it. See if that helps. The same thing happened to me once and I did exactly that and everything worked like a charm and the problem never came back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same problem, though no solution. The problem that is worst is that sometimes the key fob wont lock or unlock the car... making me open the car with the key and setting off the alarm (over and over again!!!).

Cheap POS... 2004 9-3 (98K miles).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips guys, so far nothing worked. Although I did go and give it a try with the remote and it locked, then unlocked, then locked then unlocked it again so it was working. I went and called my wife to show her it was working again and I pressed the lock button and nothing... made me look like a fool to her, lol.

One thing I did notice is that when I go to lock or unlock it, it sounds like it's locking/unlocking but nothing is happening. You can hear the noise coming from the door.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The locks tend to gun up over time. You have to clean and relube them up. Then manually exersize them to work it in. Then they should work normally. This has happened a few times during warrantee and the dealer has never had to replace a lock. Plus since you just bought it, they have to have some warrantee, unless it was a private party sale.

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
Also, do not try and unlock/lock your car from a distance. This will unsynch your remote with the car requiring to to manually unlock the door and reinsert into the ignition to resynch. You may also have a dying car (not fob) battery. When was the last time that was replaced?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my driver's door. Mine will sometimes fail to "auto lock" upon drive off, this sets the SID message. A few manual actuations seems to "fix" the issue.

I wonder what the real soltion is. Just a matter of lubrication? Maybe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts