SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, hopefully you all had a good holiday. Just a quick question, which way does the rear main oil seal install in the cover? I looked around online and really couldn't find anything. Looking at the plate from the starter side, which way should the "open" side of the seal face.

If you would like to see a 2.3 rebuild process, out of a 1999 9-5, please go to my YT channel here:

Have an exceptional day everyone,
Cap'n P. Zazz

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
The "open" end of the seal faces in toward the oil pan, the flat part should be visible when installed.

In case no one has told you yet, the seal is hard to installl without a tool made to gently slide it over the crankshaft. The "butter tub" method works well.

go to the grocery store and get yourself a round tub of butter that is tapered and as big as the crank on one end and smaller than the seal on the other. Cut off the open end to fit tightly on the crank and lube up the tub and push the seal over the butter tub until it is on the crank, then pull the tub off.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "open" end of the seal faces in toward the oil pan, the flat part should be visible when installed.

In case no one has told you yet, the seal is hard to installl without a tool made to gently slide it over the crankshaft. The "butter tub" method works well.

go to the grocery store and get yourself a round tub of butter that is tapered and as big as the crank on one end and smaller than the seal on the other. Cut off the open end to fit tightly on the crank and lube up the tub and push the seal over the butter tub until it is on the crank, then pull the tub off.
Sounds good, thanks :D I have the engine out and am rebuilding it. Just waiting on more parts LOL Now if someone has that list of coolant hoses I posted about a different thread LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts