1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got it :cool:
no fittings tho ...
and not the best shape ... broken at few places ... needs some repair/gluing

I would be very gratefull if anybody would share pics of fitting for a Thermoplast (Danmark) style louvre ...

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Show us the louvre and I'll see if I have pictures of the fittings - I have loads of pictures of the Shadow louvre (the metal one, popular in the US) and some of the Autoplas louvre (popular in the UK) ... I have one or two of a "SAAB" louvre that I've seen more of on cars from Europe, so I may well have something for you.

For fitting, get hold of some 3M DUAL LOCK SJ3550 VHB TYPE 250 tape. That's perfect for bonding to both glass and plastic, for outdoor use. To fit it, use some spirit to clean up the surfaces on the louvre and the window. Use a heat gun (the little lady's hairdyer ;) ) to warm the tape to fit around the corners of the windscreen, unless you're just bonding the sides and the top and ignoring the corners - depends on how you want it to look. Heat again and bond the other side to the louvre. Fit ... job done!

If you want more rigidity, some louvres can be strengthened by fitting a threaded bar from the top to the bottom, but TBH, to 3M tape works fine and you don't endanger your tailgate with fitting kit parts that leak and will rust in time.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paul,

Thanks, I scored the "Thermoform" louvre that is the same as the second one (grey car) on the link above. I haven`t uploaded yet images of my find.

I thought of making some fittings myself, but do you suggest just using the 3M tape as a sole mean to attach it to the glass? no fittings necessary, just tape???

Thank`s!

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Oh right ... well that's easy ... here's Vincent's fittings:

The louvre:

... the noggins ... two at the sides/bottom and two at the top
... bonded to the glass:

... and the side sections
one each top/side and one in the middle at the top:

If you can find something that the louvre can press onto, I'm sure you can come up with something for the sides. TBH, that 3M tape is going to be the easiest and most secure.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, thanks.

But what about the need to clean window from time to time ...?

I suppose some dirt will be building over time but with 3M method it`s not that easy to clean it. From your experience ... for cleaning it`s enough to do some vipes with cloth through the louvre?

and how do those fittings attach to the glass? also some 3M type tape or some stronger glue?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
KurBads said:
OK, thanks.

I suppose some dirt will be building over time but with 3M method it`s not that easy to clean it. From your experience ... for cleaning it`s enough to do some vipes with cloth through the louvre?

and how do those fittings attach to the glass? also some 3M type tape or some stronger glue?

Thanks a lot!
Cleaning is a bear unless you remove the louver. Thankfully, mine is the nicer metal louver which has hinges at top and unlatches at the bottom, thus you can hinge it up and over backwards to rest on the roof while you clean the window, or, more easily, hold it up with one hand while giving it a rubdown and squeegy at the service station while fueling up.

Here is a mounting hardware set on ebay, ships worldwide, I don't know if its for your style louver though.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
KurBads said:
OK, thanks.

Thanks a lot!
Just pop the louvre off. Simple as that. The tape allows several hundred? thousand? fixings/detatchments.
So long as the glass and plastic is spotless clean when the tape is applied, it'll stay there when you wash. The tape I cited is "velcro" type, so you can remove the louvre ... and might want to if you live anywhere like where I do :roll:

If you do get a proper fixing kit, you'll need some glass bond to fix it to the glass. Get the release agent at the same time, for the future ;)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, here we go ...

the louvre:

SAAB label on a dirty louvre:

backside - produced by Thermoform A/S, Denmark:

that`s how it would look like once attached:

for the moment the plastic to me looks too grey`ish, is there any great way how to make it look better? those "back to black" stuff doesn`t seem good enough as one has to apply it often and they make plastic oily and dust-magnetic
I`ve heard of black shoe polish method successfully applied by some classic Prosche people on their whaletale spoilers, wander if that might be usefull ... :roll:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank`s! I`m currently looking to find the 3M double lock type tape ... seems to be the easiest route.
I assume that your louvre rest on the same 3M stuff and you reccomend as prooven/appropriate for this application ...

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
It worked for me ... I've had a new tailgate since, so have not got around to re-applying the tape. That's a job for spring time - I'll be using the same stuff again. Try eBay?

I got the tip from an American louvre (louver, over there ;) ) retailer who advertised that all his louvres could be "fixed with 3M tape" and "easily removable" for cleaning. I wondered exactly the same as you did - if they're fixed, how to you remove for cleaning. I asked him and the answer was obvious - "velcro".

From 3M's website, regarding the "Dual Lock" product range:

They resist harsh wet/dry hot/cold cycles - Scotch® VHB™ Acrylic Adhesive provides very high bond and reliable performance over a wide range of temperature and environmental extremes. Temperature range of -29 degrees C / -20 degrees F to 70 degrees C / 158 degrees F continuous, and to 93 degrees C / 200 degrees F intermittent. When attached to metal test panels has passed F.A.R. 25.853 (b-2), (b-3), and FMVSS 302.
... and for the SJ3550 product:

3M ™ Dual Lock ™ Reclosable Fasteners have been used extensively in transportation, electronics, business equipment, machinery, medical and sign and display markets. When the mushroom-shaped stems interlock, tensile strength is high enough to replace mechanical fasteners in many applications, yet you can readily open and close Dual Lock fasteners hundreds of times. High temperature and solvent resistant. Black, polyproplyene reclosable fastener with a VHB ™ Tape pressure sensitive 250 stems per square inch
... once pressed on ... it's on good and solid! Use a non-sharp item to break the seal, like running the round part of a screwdriver around the seal.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank`s Paul for providing more confidence. I`ll try to locate 3M dealer or approach 3M European HQ that happen to be located in my town :cool: (BXL)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
There's a good table here, explaining the strength and durability of the tapes.
http://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/3m_duallock.htm

Essentially, the dual lock is the right stuff for our uses - it withstands vibration and has a strong bonding. Notice the SJ3550 is the first in the list to show very high bond acrylic as the adhesive - you want this, not the general purpose stuff. This is chemically resistance, so feel free to wash the window/louvre with this stuff attached. This also withstands the temperature range and climatic conditions that a louvre might experience on the back of a car - you can use this stuff to fix up outdoor signs!

The SJ3550 lists as medium/high bond and can bond to itself. The more expensive SJ3551 is 400 stems/sq in and can mate with itself or to 250 (the SJ3550 tape). Your call.

On thing you might want to do (and I will do on mine this time) is build up the profile on the louvre at any point it recessed, like where the mechanical fixings might fit. I did think about doing this on the glass, so to provide a couple of visual anchor points, but I think flat on the glass and fill in on the louvre. Again ... your choice.

You could even go so far as to fix something like a house window latch security fitting under/through the tape at the right points to pop through the holes on the louvre and screw down ... just for fun. I started going down that route initially, but didn't find anthing that looked neat enough ... the louvre guy in the US was a Godsend :cool:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
again,
thank`s a lot for your advice!
Tape idea seems easy ... without any special fitting to go into the original holes.
Do you think it`s still necessary (advisable) to make those fittings, to bother bonding them onto the glass? I originally thought of making custom fittings and gluing them down to the glass till your suggestion on 3M came.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
KurBads said:
Do you think it`s still necessary (advisable) to make those fittings, to bother bonding them onto the glass? I originally thought of making custom fittings and gluing them down to the glass till your suggestion on 3M came.
If you can make something up, it's going to be better - the side pieces that the louvre slides into are going to be difficult. I've had a good search and not really found anything. With your louvre, it kind of presses and clicks onto the fixings.

You can always go for some kind of column that comes up through the holes and screws down from above. If you search for anti-vibration fixings, there are a few ideas. All that said, I think it's just neater to use tape - just build up the profile where necessary and job done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts