SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found some louvers... how much should I pay for a good deal? Also, I hear you need to drill 4 holes in the window and that that is the only way it mounts up? Sounds too easy...

-Alex

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
nnamssorxela said:
found some louvers... how much should I pay for a good deal? Also, I hear you need to drill 4 holes in the window and that that is the only way it mounts up? Sounds too easy...

-Alex
no drilling required! not on mine anyway :confused: i paid $25 for mine, but i see em go on ebay for $75, so i guess anything in that range is reasonable, depends on how bad you want em ;)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you happen to have any pictures? (some of how it mounts up, and of the actual louver would be nice)
Thanks
-Alex

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone know the options details on the louvres? What years, which models etc? Trying to keep my saab as "stock" as possible, want to know if you would have seen them off the "line" or out of the dealer with them on..

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
nnamssorxela said:
o great, that means there is no hardware... it there a place to get the hardware from?
thx
-Alex
there is some hardware, the two pieces up top bolt onto the louvres, making the louvres removable (why you would want to is beyond me though :roll: ) and the two pieces at the bottom of the rear window that the louvres latch on to... on mine theres the hinges on the top mounting brackets, making it so you can raise it up to clean the window :cheesy:

·
Registered
294 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
there is some hardware, the two pieces up top bolt onto the louvres, making the louvres removable (why you would want to is beyond me though :roll: ) and the two pieces at the bottom of the rear window that the louvres latch on to... on mine theres the hinges on the top mounting brackets, making it so you can raise it up to clean the window :cheesy:
Mine is Identical.. p/o said they were installed at the dealer new in 85. Seems like the plates are epoxy'd on to the glass on mine. I love the go fast 80s look of them!

·
Registered
294 Posts
The window definatley stays dryer while driving in the rain. No need for a wiper, tho one will not fit with the louvers. However the water that does get on the glass, tends to stay since there is now air flow. No biggie tho.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the info and help guys, sounds like a good investment! finally, I'll be able to see in the rain...or not.

-Alex

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
yah, as long as the rain isn't POURING down, it stays pretty dry, though it will still fog up, hence my defroster question :lol: but yah, they're awesome, if/when i get another C900, the first mod will be louvres, i can't imagine life without em! they also help a LOT with glare from the sun in the rear window, and to a small extent, headlights in the rear window

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
hmm those look really different from the louvres I have in my workshop. Your's look metal and stick out really, really far. Mine are some sort of composite plastic or whatever material and are much less pronounced. But say Saab all over them and attatch with to little tabs that glue to the window and then snap into the louvre

·
Registered
517 Posts
Both sets of louvres I have sitting in the garage are identical to Mike's. One set I bought on ebay the other was from a car in the wrecking yard and that one was a real pain to remove the upper mounts from the glass. Probably mounted at the dealer -- I think it came off an '87.

Mike I think the bolts at the hinges are just part of how they're made. I can't imagine removing them, just swinging up to clean the glass on occasion.

If you get the louvers make sure you load up on CDs of 80s music. And don't forget the hair -- big hair!

I like how they look but they do get a bit rattly for my tastes.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
i have no idea if mine are OEM or not :confused: they are metal though, and i know you don't have to remove the bolts to swing it up, i just meant those bolts are there so you can remove the louvres from the mounting brackets if need be :)

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
DanComden said:
If you get the louvers make sure you load up on CDs of 80s music. And don't forget the hair -- big hair!
Don't forget all the little potplants on frilly lace doilies to sit on your nice set of plant-pot shelves...

Am I the only one who thinks these are one of the most godawful visual excresences that could possibly be inflicted on any car? Take one attractive smooth, aerodynamically competent bodyshell, lower it, aero bodykit, tune it - then stick a flimsy plastic stepladder on the rear window...

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I generally refer to louvres as Cheez Graters and most remember them from 80's Mustangs.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts