SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
right, this is hopefully a quick one.

took the car in the get a dent fixed, i'm guessing they disconnected the rear passenger light (brakes/signal etc). everything worked fine when i left it however now I have the warning light on in the pictogram only when the engine runs and the lights are on park or dipped. second strange thing is when i flash the lights the interior dash lights flash as well - pictogram is blank.

none of the bulbs anywhere have blown, fuses all ok.

i'm thinking when they disconnected the light that they reconnected the wrong way round? haven't tried it yet, anyone know which way round the plug should be or any ideas on what may have gone wrong?

i'll call them about it monday but wondering if there's a quick fix?

forgot to mention that no bulbs have been replaced, all the brown wires look fine inside the unit, no rust or moisture or loose bulbs. thanks!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
anyone got any ideas on this? does the connector plug only fit back one way only? if i have to take the car back i'm going to have to take time off work and i'd rather not if its something simple. anyone got a photo of their wiring (yes, long shot!) or any experience replacing lense and bulb clusters?

just rechecked - when i flash the lights ALL the lights come on as in setting the light switch all the way round.

·
Registered
658 Posts
i have a similair problem (1996 aero) my rear lamp out warning comes on at start up but the first time i hit the brakes it goes out...all bulbs good---on my 95 cse never any problems

·
Registered
51 Posts
Saabfan, Isnt that the way its supposed to work? cant check the brake light bulbs until you press the brakes?? im sure my '95 CDE worked like that.

·
Registered
658 Posts
sorry guys maybe the US cars didn't get the lamp warning until 1996 which explains why i never saw it on my 95 cse....abad ground could cause also the wrong bulbs could cause backfeed problems throughout the circuit (i've seen it more than once) bulbs will look just fine and fit in the connector will not blow fuse because there is no short ...try unplugging one lamp connector at a time (obviously nearest accident damage first) you will still have the lamp out display but the interior lamps (backfeeding) should go away ...possible body shop replaced the bulbs with something that looked very similair (--i.e. 3057 vs. 3157) just quickly compare one side to the other...best of luck electrical problems can suck

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi, ok, can't work this one out.
have checked the earth, replaced the bulbs, checked the stalk and hooray the warning lights are off.

only one problem, the interior lights and rear lights still come on when you flash the headlights.

any suggestions on a possible starting point? i have replaced the light cluster, bulbs, fuses.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and now the wiring down one side of the car....all burnt through and shorting out all over the place, another 'prove it' instance in this great country from previous work done....i won't tell you how much that cost but my eyes are still watering.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Another reason why I don't trust garages. I wonder why the wiring was burnt out? Did they use a heat source to repair the dent then?
Sounds a bit suspect and coincidental to me man.:eek:

My son took his skip (if its not a saab, it's litter):cheesy: , to a garage for his MOT, the wkend before we checked the car over and all was well. The MOT was on the following Tues, turns out the garage ripped him off with bulbs, bushes and a new tyre - all 4 were over the legal limit. Total cost £180, parts... 17.5%VAT, .....£90, labour. Total cost of 'so-called' repairs....Almost a stagging £300 notes. The same reason I will drive the 30miles to a Saab approved garage for all my work. If I need parts I'll source them, then have them fit em.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
welding equipment....no idea how and no-one please tell me that's not the reason.....the car has swallowed a huge amount of cash recently.....i hesitate to say it is now perfect....it is.....which cannot be said for the balance on my savings account.....:eek:

shame as its all part of a continual circle of repairing repairs.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does sound like some ape with a welder forgot to take the battery off.. or maybe a rodent has been chewing the wires? Id go with the ape and the welder.

Is it all fixed and working now?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts