SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the inner stop/parking light on the passenger side. It is NOT the infamous trunk wiring bug, which I have fixed twice before. All bulbs are fine, 3rd brake light is fine too. I swapped the fully working driver side cluster over this the passenger side, and the same bulb doesn't work properly. It's a dual-filament bulb, so the first filament actually is lit when the parking lights are on and looks fine. The second filament that is supposed to illuminate when the brake is depressed never comes on, no matter if the parking lights are on or not. This has to be the wiring, right gentlemen?

I really didn't feel like pulling the whole trunk apart to troubleshoot this :-\

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I presume this is one of the lights in the rear quarter panel, not in the trunk lid.
Even though both bulbs are dual filiment, the inner bulb(one closest to the trunk opening) only illuminates the parking lights. So in reality, only one bulb on each side lights up when the brake pedal is depressed, the outer bulb. Both light up when the parking lights are lit.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed I noticed there is only one contact point at the bottom of the bulb socket after checking again. Something is really screwy then, because when the brake pedal is depressed, both bulbs on the driver side either illuminate or get brighter, depending upon whether I have the parking lights on or not. The passenger side outer bulb gets really bright at the same time, but the inner is dead. Strange happenings...

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Check your grounds. Run a test lead from the ground(the part that touches the brass part of the bulb) to a good ground source(any bare metal on the body/engine) and see if that helps.

I know older 900's from the '80s had ground issues. I've seen them myself while driving:( As cars age, ground connections become issues and funky things happen to your lights.

Check all of your bulbs to see if they are installed correctly. If they are reversed or not turned in all of the way, you can get some backfeeding. Remember, the dual element bulbs have an off set bayonett, but can be jammed in incorrectly.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
You problem could be the bulb itself; the signal bulb doesn't have the standard contact pins there're slightly offset; if you replace it with an 1157 bulb it won't work correctly. and the brakelights should be #bay 15d type; also check the connector for corrosion.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You problem could be the bulb itself; the signal bulb doesn't have the standard contact pins there're slightly offset; if you replace it with an 1157 bulb it won't work correctly. and the brakelights should be #bay 15d type; also check the connector for corrosion.

I have used 1157 bulbs with no problem. The pins are 180 degrees from each other, but are set at different heights. 1156, single filiment, are 180 degrees apart and set at the same height. If you tried to put one of these in, it won't fit. Make sure all of the bulbs back there are installed correctly.

I do agree that something is inserted incorrrectly or you have a bad ground.

The bulb for the rear turn signal is offset by like 120 degrees and you have to go to a speciality shop to get these. They don't sell those at Wal*Mart.

·
Registered
343 Posts
correct bulb?

Indeed I noticed there is only one contact point at the bottom of the bulb socket after checking again. Something is really screwy then, because when the brake pedal is depressed, both bulbs on the driver side either illuminate or get brighter, depending upon whether I have the parking lights on or not. The passenger side outer bulb gets really bright at the same time, but the inner is dead. Strange happenings...

Cheers!
I had a similar problem once and it turn out that previous owner had put in the wrong bulb. The wrong bulb fit but it didn't work right.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

Cheers!
I missed this statement earlier.

Yes, this will cause issues as the single contact will bridge the parking light circuit and brake light circuit causing all types of problems. Get the correct bulbs in there and you should be good to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts