SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my Saab has been telling me there is a "rear light failure" but I cannot seem to find any lights out. Just for thoroughness the brake lights work, the single rear fog light works, the reverse lights, the taillights, the license plate lights all work. I know that the license plate lights, when out, arent even indicated on the SID. What could be the issue??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am interested if anyone else has seen this. I just saw this come up on my SID also and so I checked the same things....all the rear lights seem to be working properly. Any ideas?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The notice for a brake light out is overly sensitive;if the voltages are not with 0.001 of each other, then the PITA message will glow.

I'd install two new 7528 bulbs.
This has happened to hundreds here at SC, including me.

·
Registered
1995 NG900 2.3L
818 Posts
And, as much as a PITA it is, the SAAB requires a specific bulb id'ed by part number (7528 just like earthworm said) to work properly and not generate the SID message. I would avoid generic dual filament stoplight bulbs (for instance) that you find just about anywhere and try to source some good Philips bulbs or similar. You can get by with generic stuff but it often is more of a hassle.

Just wanted to reiterate that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My 2000 9-5 had a "rear light failure" that was a PITA. I replaced the rear bulbs with all brand new bulbs from the SAAB dealer and the message persisted. I finally pulled the high mount brake light and examined it. There was a burnt spot on the circuit board where one of the LEDs was mounted to it. I found a used light assembly on eBay and put that on the car - no more light failure messages after that. HTHs

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am experiencing the same thing. I figured it was a bulb that went out in the brake strip (above the trunk / under the spoiler); however, once I replaced the little bulb with one I purchased at Pep Boys... still get "Rear Light Failure". Is there some way to get the SID reset? But my guess is that it will return, right? So what bulbs should I be replacing to no longer have to see this dang warning.

It's bad enough I get the check engine light that will not go off for any extended period of time. Btw. Saab checked it out several times... they just said, "nothing wrong, suck it up" ...just can't wait to tell that to the smog checker when that time comes (but this para is for another thread).

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I also have been getting this message ocassionally but for me the left brake light does go out and i have to tap it to come back on...Probably a loose connection or something along those lines

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds like your filament is a little messed. I have the advantage of being able to replace bulbs for free, so I always just replace them when they are suspect. No need to add a reason to get pulled over.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I reseated the bulb and connector and it hasnt popped back up since, so maybe ill get lucky...
Sounds like your filament is a little messed. I have the advantage of being able to replace bulbs for free, so I always just replace them when they are suspect. No need to add a reason to get pulled over.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Had the same problem on my 9-5. The ground pin at the light housing was going bad. Eventually it burned it self up and I had not lights on that side (made up my own ground bypass to fix it). Now the other side is starting the same thing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread... but rather than start a new one on same topic...

I have this issue. Replaced all the bulbs with new from AutoZone and still get the "Bulb Failure" every time I start the vehicle.

Issue started a few weeks after repairs to the rear harness at the trunk hinge.

Is the system so sensitive that a solder union on a lamp wire would cause the malfunction alert?
Or, also, while I was there I activated the LR fog lamp by soldering over the cut trace on the bulb holder. Could that be the issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear Turn/Stop bulb failure 9-5 Turbo Aero 2010

Rear turn & stop light bulb Failure Saab 9-5 Turbo Aero. IS Caused by Overheating of the VERY High heat generated by the bulb itself.... Resulting in melting/ warping the bulb socket itself.. I have changed approx 25 bulbs AND Sockets over the last 5 years. The sign the Blinker/ Stop bulb & socket is toast.. Is blinker will blink very fast. Open trunk, take SOFT cover off inside liner behind light area.. Take off 3 finger screws and remove light. You will see a small black bulb holder with finger twist type grabbers.. Turn and see bulb in socket.. Most likely the bulb will be black and burned out as well as the holder itself being melted.. So bad that removing the bulb is impossible as the heat has melted the plastic holder to the bulb.. Both must be replaced.. They are getting harder to find as time goes on.. I am changing the hi intensity bulb for an LED bulb by way of mounting a new LED bulb and wire thru the holder.. It is a cool to the touch bulb.. This will not heat up the holder.. Resulting in no overheat conditions.. I have repaired these rear bulbs to many times and everytime I do .. 3 or 4 months later the Holder is Toasted again.. unfortunately Saab has built a bad design bulb that creates a hi heat condition. I hope this helps.. I have struggled with this for a long time.. As soon as I finish the retrofit repair I will send info on the fix.. I know I can solve this troublesome condition.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.