SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello to all Saab owners once again:D

today i unscrewed the plastic cover of the rear licence plates bulbs to check their type.
the specs where

E1 with 2.2V if i remember right

i want to replace them with Led ones as they give out a more clear white colour while they add some more luminance.
if it is possible to find a bulb type that is almost identical to 6500K like the xenon kit i want to install soon on the front lights it will be perfect.

can u please inform me with a link or a photo of such a bulb?

thnx in advance:cheesy:

p.s.
i found a picture of how they look like....they really seem almost identical to these

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=6428.OSRA

GOOGLE POWAH:cheesy:
http://www.mr-resistor.co.uk/default.aspx?search=zone 3&pg=17
but which one to get the more close to 6500K xenon kit?

·
Registered
159 Posts
replacing those lights due make a difference with crisp leds. the only thing is if you do not place resistors they will burn out in a month or 2 depending. but since saabs have the drl feature they will burn out alot faster. place a resistor if you want to keep the led alive. my .02

·
Registered
514 Posts
The lenght is 35mm for the bulb that is used for the license place.

Do not buy those EBAY bulbs that promise it to fit from 35mm to 37mm as it will not fit, you need an actual 35 mm bulb to fit.

I tried to see how it would look, but for me it did flicker when the lights where turned off... was thinking of using one of the regular blue colored bulbs that look whiter... but always scared of those since they usually get hotter.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
i squireezed 39mm ones into it.. they look great:

go for the white LEDs if you do. you won't regret it! ps, 42mm fit most other festoons in the car (door wells, ceiling lights, however a 39mm is needed for the trunk!)

strobing is no big deal. looks like it's some sort of theft system, and after a few minutes it's gone. i actually like it.

oh and i've had them in there for about 3 months now.. no burning out, no problems.. not sure what 03arc is talking about.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thnnx for the post provided wtfwill:cheesy:

the effect looks very cool but i have one remark to make..........
do u like the white light that cover the bottom end of the trunk in the centre right above the bumper?

i think i am gonna mod a bit more on this project for my car.......

if i am gonna put 2 very small pieces of direct reflecting material (like a small stripe of mirrors inside the plastic cover of the bulbs) i think i can achieve to change the led light direction to incline exactly on an outer angle towards the licence plates........and no light on bottom of trunk and over the rear bumper.....

sorry for bad english but i am a bit rookie when it comes to more technical details;oops:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
sounds good. you don't notice the light on the bumper because the halogen bulbs are a lot less powerful.. for example, lexus uses LEDs in their license plates, and it has a similar effect.

i'm going to fit LEDs in the reverse lights and red LEDs in the brake lights this weekend, so i'll post back on how that goes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wtfwill said:
i'm going to fit LEDs in the reverse lights and red LEDs in the brake lights this weekend, so i'll post back on how that goes.
reverse lights ok.........red brake lights no......i think its illegal also.......because its very dangerous to blind a driver that is behind u.......at least here in greece its illegal.

either way i am waiting more pics of your mods:cool:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hey WTFWILL, can you please let us know which bulb was that you bought?

I tried to squeeze the 39mm, but it was a tight fit, I am using those for the trunk and under the doors now (Which looks awesome)

I found 36mm Super White on Ebay for $9.00 for the pair... thinking about getting those. So the flicker is only for a short time... I thought it was permanent. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Bu...009QQitemZ190178834363QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

wtfwill said:
i squireezed 39mm ones into it.. they look great:

go for the white LEDs if you do. you won't regret it! ps, 42mm fit most other festoons in the car (door wells, ceiling lights, however a 39mm is needed for the trunk!)

strobing is no big deal. looks like it's some sort of theft system, and after a few minutes it's gone. i actually like it.

oh and i've had them in there for about 3 months now.. no burning out, no problems.. not sure what 03arc is talking about.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ok, bought the 36mm one from eBay. Same brand with 6 led's.

I am hopping this will fit better, I will update as soon as I get them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ok, got the 36mm from Ebay and that is the perfect size, it fit correcly.

It looks really good, here is a picture of what it looked like before:

Here is a side to side comparison:

And this is how it looks now :cheesy:, the picture makes the bulb look a little blue but in real life, its a very nice white color, exact same as Lexus.

The bulbs do blink for about a minute after turning them off, but it gives the car such a different look from the back.

·
Registered
407 Posts
personally id want my license plate lights to be dimmer...not brighter. but thats just me....and my bad luck with the police.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts