SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is the left torque arm on my 84 where it bolts to the spindle.

Compared with the right this one is not sitting straight, it is skewed, as you can see in the pic.

This had a new bush put it in 6 months ago, I was shocked to see it was tearing a little - I am assuming due to the skew in it.

What would be causing this one to be on skewed, and the other to be on true, bent torque arm? something to do with the axle etc?

I do have sagging rear springs, but I would have thought it would do this to both of them....

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok after letting the jack down it looks like it's straight -

One question remains - why would the bush be cracking already!?

It was a bush from eeuroparts, are tiny cracks normal? I would have thought it shouldn't show any cracks!?

The other side hasn't been replaced, it is definitely softer, I can move the torque arm easily with a screwdriver, but it has about the same if not less cracks than the new side....? The other side will be replaced eventually but considering it's a right pain to get the old ones out and the new ones in I left it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Did you raise the axle close to ride height, before tightening the bolt ?

If the bolt is tightened when the axle is extended down, the bush is permanently stressed at normal ride height and contributes to shortened life span.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you raise the axle close to ride height, before tightening the bolt ?

If the bolt is tightened when the axle is extended down, the bush is permanently stressed at normal ride height and contributes to shortened life span.
I know this is the case with the fronts, but not the rears. Damn I didn't do that. It's a nightmare to get in there when the car is off the jack, so I should do what? jack up the spring link?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a go, not sure if I have enough jacks lol so might try it with the car down first then later with the jacks

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey there

managed to get it sorted, so should be right now. Hopefully I haven't trashed the bush too much, I had to pay to get it pressed in as I didn't have any drifts of the right size. :evil:

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the wheel on was the only hurdle I was referring to lol

I wriggled in behind it and managed to do it today

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Get yourself some spares Bushings .. there cheap .. next time you are heading this way we will find a pair of Spare rods and press them in . Then will be plug n play changeover when needed

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Aussie, I have 2 small ones and 1 silent block (the other silent block is on the torque arm in question)

I might pick up another spare from eeuroparts with next order.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts