58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone sortedthe rear knocking sound, ver strange I only hear
it at low speeds and I dont hear it when I go over bumpy ground,
any ideas

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I occasionally get a sound from the rear of the car that sounds like the shock absorber mounting to the body is loose. I haven't got round to checking it. It is only intermittent and sounded to be an inherent noise rather than a problem.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Got the same problem with mine. But it's solved now. Depending on the modell you have I can give you a hint. I have a MY03 and there is a know problem:

The rear dust boots of the shock absorbers are functional ok, but they give the movement to the chassi and so it rumbles. Saab is aware of the problem and they have a fix. I don't have a buelletin nummer or so about this problem, but you Saab dealer should know about it.

The fix for my car (as k known by Saab) was to replace the plastic dust boots on the rear with - steel - dust boots. After that: a whole new car feeling - quiet, no rumbling etc.. :p
So if you have a MY03 (don't know if it's also a problem with the MY04 / the MY05 shouldn't have the problem, but maybe early MY04 can still have the problem) ask your dealer about the dust boots replacement.

Mine where handle with the guarantee and it took only 1 hour or so to change them. No problem.

Maybe this helps you.

P.S.: Your description is just like the rumbling I had - at low speeds it was rumbling when going over little bumbs on the road, at higher speeds no problem. So go for the Steel Dust Boots. :cheesy:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's exactly it, thank God, I thought I was going mad.
I have a 03 Arc, was it a big Job to change the Boots?, How long
did it take?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well it was no problem. My dealer knew that problem and ordered the steel dust boots right away. So no complaining, discussing or so...I just said: Hey, it's rumbling, is that normal. They said "Nop, we get you the new dust boots made out of steel and that should fix it". And it did.

The change took about 1 or 2 hours. Don't know exactly as I got a loaner for free and made a small shopping tour. Got back and got my "feeling new and more stable" car back. (It's just the feeling as the is no real difference between the plastiv and the steel dust boots except of s kilogramm more weight and no rumbling)

so I guess it's not a big thing as long as the dealer or the mechanics know the problem and don't do a fuss in ordering the replacement dust boots.

Good luck.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have the same problem.. sounds like one of the suspension struts is knocking.. like the bush is missing.. it got a bit better.. i took my car into saab and they couldn't find anything wrong.. :( (03 car)

Its in there AGAIN having a new wheel bearing and some nasty rattles sorted out as well.. .like creaking clutch pedal and seat...I love the car.. just wish i was bolted together better... its getting very fustrating :(

·
Registered
638 Posts
Does anybody have more info on this service bulletin and the fix? While may car is in the shop, Id like for them to try to do this if it is relevant... Right now they are telling my my car (a 2004 MY vehicle built 07/03) needs new shocks because I mentioned a rattle... And I dont buy it.

But this is plausible...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Could someone explain (the way you would explain it to a child) what is this Dust Boot? Part number would be nice as well.

I've been dealing with this knocking sound for a year now and I'm seriously considering Koni FSD set. Cheaper option to get rid of the noise would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
dammit! mine too is starting to do this. Me thinks its the warm weather lately and things are starting to loosen up. And I've been on Koni yellow sports and vogtland springs for the past year now.

My thoughts for where this is happening:
--loose stuff in the trunk - tire and my hoarding treasures, plus this is a real easy one to try out.
--rear shock mounts - upper peices. I did not replace those when I did the suspension upgrade and they were not in great shape to say the least.
--rear upper control arms - I've read before that these can be the culprit of this noise for our cars.

I think that's the order I'm going to go at this based on ease of work as well as $$

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nobody can help us with the partnumber of the steel dust boots ?
As I can see , there is a partnumber for the rear shock absorber, but no dust boots ... nothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts