SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got rear ended a month ago and my impact bar (rail) got bent. I found a used replacement online for about $50 bucks and decided to attempt to replace it myself. I have the bumper cover and shock absorber removed. The impact bar is held on by four bolts and nuts it looks like. Two on each side. I loosened all four nuts, but the impact bar wont budge. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
it might be spot welded to the body as well, they look like the image posted below. if you see none it might be painted to the body so it might be good practice to get a rubber mallet and wack the metal piece so see if it breaks loose.

if infact it is spot welded to the body you need to get a spot weld remover which is sort of like a long steel shaft with a blade on the end, and then you take that and stick it on the spot weld and hammer it and it cuts the spot welds off.

one last thing, check the inside of the car to see if there are not any bolts going though the inside of the trunk holding the bumper in place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was definitely welded on as well. i didnt want to deal with it and ended up just taking it to a local body shop. i know...fail. :-(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts