SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to change the rear motor mount on my 2000 2.0T with an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION a few mos ago and ran out of time so just gave up.

After feeling it really thump around this week I decided to give it another look. I put it on stands and disconnected all of the nuts to the mount. I couldn't get the engine to jack up high enough to clear all the bolts. So, I decided that the easiest way to do it was to remove the mount and bracket together. There are 3 bolts that hold the bracket and two of them are very easy to get to. The third one is in a recessed section of the bracket and the bottom edge of the mount prevents you from getting a socket wrench in there. I went to northern tool and bought the smallest/shortest16mm socket I could find. That combined with a low-profile ratchet fit on it with a little wiggling and maneuvering to get past the mount. I believe the mount for the Manual transmission mounts to the engine completely different so I'm not sure if you could get to the bracket on it.

Sorry I didn't take pictures but it's pretty self explanitory if you just print this up and take it under the car with you.

You need the following tools:
  • A socket wrench with a very flat skinny head.
  • 17mm socket
  • Very short 16mm socket
  • Hydraulic jack and some scrap wood ( I used a 10" long 4x4 between the jack and the transmission.)
I found that the best setup was:

1. Loosen the top nut on the mount almost to the end of the threads
  2. Break the two bottom nuts loose but leave them finger-tight against the subframe
  3. Jack the engine/transmission up until you can get a skinny socket and flat socket wrench in the recess. (Be creative with your existing tools here. I was able to drop a socket in but didn't have room for the wrench. If I had had a large enough L-Allen to fit in the 3/8 drive socket I could have broke it loose then used my fingers).
  4. Once the bracket was loose I removed the bottom two nuts on the mount and pulled it off as one piece.
  5. I removed them together over the top of the cat and out the large opening on the other side.
  6. Reassembly was easy as well. I actually didn't just reverse that procedure but decided to put the mount in the subframe first then I installed the bracket before lowering the engine/transmission/bracket onto the top mount-bolt.
I did not remove any parts fom the car nor did I drop the exaust or subframe. It was as simple as removing 3 bolts and 3 nuts and took less than 45mins start to finish.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Thanks, Frank, for this excellent write up; it is now a favorite..:cheesy:

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
when the rear mount on my wife's 5speed vert failed the bolt pulled out of the top of the mount so the wire safety strap was useless, there for the engine was really moving forward, so much so that the bracket was hitting the steel brake pipe :eek: but when i changed it i had no problems lifting the engine up, which i thought at the time was a little odd as i have had trouble replacing this mount in the past, so i investigated why it was easy to remove, and the answer was simple, there is a lip on the bulk head that the bracket catches on when you try and lift the engine off the mount, on my wife's vert this lip had been bashed out of the way due to the way the mount had failed there for the bracket didn't foul it when i lifted the engine :roll: so for the sake of that flippin' lip a simple job is a real pain in the butt :evil:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts