SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well 2 questions:
1. How do you remove the hub from the backing plate, the WIS simply states "remove the hub from the backing plate." There is no way mine is just coming apart, is there any trick or is it just rusted in place.

2. Also when adding shims I assume I put them between the beam axle and the spacer, nor between the space and the backing plate? Just wanted to double check.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,949 Posts
Jake:

I haven't actually done it, but there's a TSB at GS: http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files2/cambershims.pdf

The note on the GS site says "for 9-5 but applies to 9-3 too" so you might need to interpret a little.

EDIT: If you're in the mood, if you could make a tracing of the shim full size and post it, that would be great. I am thinking of making my own so that I can customize the thickness selection to the exact correction I want, but I could use a template.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I checked that, just said insert the shim, no mention of before or after the spacer and the diagram isn't exploded enough to see the back side of the hub/backplate where the spacer shim would go.

·
Registered
18,949 Posts
Just read about 250 posts on this subject... no one says exactly which side of the spacer they should go on.

Several posts mentioned two additional bolts "under the bracket" that hold the brake bits in place. I don't know if that's a 9-5 only issue but it won't come lose on those cars without loosening the additional bolts.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't imagine it would make much difference either way. Maybe I will give GS a call tomorrow. I think that is a 9-5 only thing, There are only 4 nuts that hold the whole assembly on, in fact if you remove the brake line you can remove the whole hub, backing plate, rotor and caliper as one unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts