SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey does anyone know if the later rear brake calipers ('88 onwards) with the handbrake levers on them can simply bolt onto a '87 900 thats got front handbrake?
do the rotors and hubs, or dare i say the whole rear axle assembly:eek: have to be changed too?

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
Axle, rear hubs, handbrake lever and cables, and front hubs (assuming you wanted the fronts done as well!) all would need changing.

And then the wheels as well of course.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nutcase said:
Axle, rear hubs, handbrake lever and cables, and front hubs (assuming you wanted the fronts done as well!) all would need changing.

And then the wheels as well of course.
oh god!:suprised;
i think i might put it on my things to do over the next few years list:cheesy:

cheers mate!

·
Registered
801 Posts
ludichris001 said:
oh god!:suprised;
i think i might put it on my things to do over the next few years list:cheesy:

cheers mate!

Yeah, I have avoided doing that same swap due to the length of the measures that must be taken to accomplish it....also I have very desireable minilite wheels, and I want to continue using them...the rear dual piston calipers on an 87 down are AWESOME (must be why Volvos, NG 900s, 9-3s and 9-5, use basically the same calipers in the rear) the fronts are pretty crummy though, although a front handbrake has it's benefits....Old Subaru's had a handbrake on the front, I have considered adapting a Set of Subie calipers to the front......Also I have considered Bolting up front 4 piston calipers from a slightly older Toyota 4x4 to the front...they are a perfect fit save for the fact you have to enlarge the mounting holes on the calipers....and then I was going to use a hydraulic handbrake like on rally and drift cars for the rear

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I do like the twin-pot ATE's on the rear, so simple and reliable. To be honest I've had more bother with the rear-handbrake setup than the good old girlings....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Me to. My rear handbrake saabs are the only ones that freezes in the winter. While the front handbrakes as long as they work they work all year whatever the conditions are.

I get my cars very cheap because the front handbrake is not working and they fail the MOT. That is because there are never done any maintenance on the front calipers or the braking system in general. When I do an overhaul they never fail me again and I have never had to replace the cables to the front handbrake either.

In rallying or even racing a rear handbrake might be useful but if its only needed to secure the car while parked there really is no point in converting. If the purpose is to fit the 16" aeros or super aeros it would be easier to get the machine shop to convert the spindles to 108x4. Otherwise I find that there are plenty of sets of 114,3x4 saab alloys that you can get almost for free. Not so when I really badly needed an extra set of wheels for my `91 c900

1 - 7 of 7 Posts