SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

First post. Wife has 00 9-5 2.3L turbo wagon, auto, 96k miles. We bought it in August, 1st Saab and we're very happy.

Question about rear fog lights. After inspecting the vehicle today, I noticed the rear fogs, 1 was out. So I opened the access port and noticed that the pass. side is not fitted with a socket - it's capped. Is this how Saab delivers US models? And if so, has anyone modified their cars by fitting the extra socket and wiring it up? Can the circuit handle another bulb?

Thanks in advance.

Tim
New Milford, Ct

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Yes its standard, same over here too. Presumably so they dont just look like a pair of brake lights - I cant believe its a cost saving thing :confused:

Yes you can fit a second bulb no problem! I'm sure you just pop out / push through the blank and its there ready for the bulb.

Welcome by the way ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Kobe Diesel said:
Very quick...thank you!
Now you sound like my wife ;oops:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are not many road lights where I live, visibility at night is a must. Cog, I agree with you about the symmetry factor and being seen. If the guy behind me thinks Im riding my break, let him change lanes or open the gap between us. My wife is pregnant so making sure her car is safe is my biggest concern.

Again, thanks very much.

·
Registered
708 Posts
On the newer Dame Edna models, the driver side (blank) has a different lens than the passenger side (fog + reverse light). Passenger side has same red lens with white strips.

On my other two 9000s, I believe the fog light was separate, now almost everytime I put it in reverse, I get people telling me one of my lights is burnt out.

Saab quirks......... ya okay.

CSE_20

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wanted to do the same with my estate, unfort it doesn't seem to be so straightforward, the lens already has a buld in it, but the holder doesnt have the extra connector for the two filament bulb :cry: or the wiring ;oops:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a Washington State trooper pull me over in a downpour to tell me I had a light out. He thought my explanantion "fascinating".:cheesy:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ah rear fog lamps, one of my pet subjects!

:evil: In my opinion probaly one of the worst inventions in the automotive industry!
Here in Europe they are compulsory but hardly anybody uses them correctly. According to German law the rear fog lamp may only be switched on under conditions of poor visibility due to fog or snow where visibility is less than 50 metres.

It is not allowed to use them in rain because of the dangerous glare and reflection.

Another paragraph in the German Road Traffic Act states that if visibility is less than 100 metres then the maximum speed limit is automatically 1 km/h per metre of visibility, ergo you are only allowed to drive at a maximum of 50 km/h with the rear fog lamps switched on!

Up until about 10 years ago European regulations stated that brake lights must always be in pairs, because rear fog lamps are of the same intensity the same regulations stated that these must be single units fitted to the offside of the vehicle. With the introduction of single high level brake lights these regulations were changed and it was allowed to fit twin rear fog lamps. Safety concious manufacturers such as Saab decided that because the fog lamps were often located in the main unit near the brake lights, there is also a regulation which states the minimum distance between brake lights and fog lights, that they would continue to fit only single rear fog lamps. Because of countries such as the UK, who drive on the left hand side of the road it is however necessary to have the alternative of fitting the fog lamp either on the left or the right depending which side is the offside.

Why do I hate them?
1) they are constantly abused and cause dangerous glare and dazzle when used incorrectly.
2) In my experience they lull other drivers into a false sense of security causing them to drive too fast and hang on the taillights of the guy in front.
3) Most accidents are accentuated whe after the fisrt minor accident other vehicles pile into the accident vehicles, which quite often are poorly lit because of the accident or side ways acrooss the carraigeway and the following vehicles are travelling too fast to see them in time because they believe they can rely on the bright fog lamps showing where the next vehicle is in front of them.

I never switch mine on!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm not complaining, I just don't understand why it serves dual function, what light bulbs are that expensive?

Fog light part is actually good, once there was an imbecile hanging off my bumper in very lousy weather on the highway.
A few pumps of the fog light switch got him the hell off, he then was another one of those with the ignorant look on his face, what is that car?:cheesy:

Regards,
cse_20

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
I have to say that I have never heard anyone talk about glare on the road from rear fogs before.
I have used mine in heavy rain thinking it was the safe thing to do.
I guess I won't do that any more ...

As for people behind me, if there is someone following me for any time/distance, I always make sure that I show them my brake lights so they know what is going on.

I too installed the 2nd bulb and would do that again with another Saab.
Christian (owner of Aktive Motors) actually installed a relay so that his rear fogs are part of his brake light system. They also work as rear fogs when he needs them to.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Interesting!
I'll have to check if all I'm missing is a bulb, just for giggles.

But the exterior lense is different, off colored lights, or one right hand light?
Tough choice.
regards,
cse_20

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
8AA2YM said:
I had a Washington State trooper pull me over in a downpour to tell me I had a light out. He thought my explanantion "fascinating".:cheesy:
lol....I wondered about this, and if it could happen to me

THe single fog looks a touch bit odd.

On older Saabs do they not have dual rear fogs? We did not get them in Canada till the 9-5.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
cse_20 said:
Interesting!
I'll have to check if all I'm missing is a bulb, just for giggles.

But the exterior lense is different, off colored lights, or one right hand light?
Tough choice.
regards,
cse_20
The newer 9-5s don't have the same set up.
You can only have 1 rear fog ...

·
Registered
116 Posts
My Canadian market '02 9-5 sedan has working rear fogs on both sides. Because it is 'supposed' to be only the left that works, I had a look at the right (curb) side bulb holder and saw that the metal circuit board has a place where the circuit to the fog bulb can be broken so the light doesn't work. Mine's been soldered closed so both sides work. We don't get much fog but do have white-out conditions during snow storms where the extra rear lighting comes in very handy.

Rod.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts