SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure people have posted this already but I could not find it with our amazing search feature.

When I changed out my alternator I must have fractured the EVAP hose on the back of the throttle body. Like most people the current price of this hose is beyond ridiculous. So it is time to figure out a fix.

This hose is actually really weird. You would think it would connect directly to throttle body from the factory. But that is not the case it is a two piece hose. The other weird thing about the hose is it actually lined on the inside with plastic. Then there is about 1/2 and inch of plastic sticking out of the rubber hose. This hose is then insert into a 2 inch hose that connects to your throttle body.

The 1/2 inch extended piece of plastic broke off of mine. So there was no way to connect to the section on the throttle body. I cut back the rubber hose 3/4 of inch back from crack end of plastic. I then use a hack saw to cut the plastic flush. Then I reinsert this plastic piece back into the throttle body and secure it with a worm clamp.

I hope this helps someone out. ;ol;

Attachments

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I am sure people have posted this already but I could not find it with our amazing search feature.

When I changed out my alternator I must have fractured the EVAP hose on the back of the throttle body. Like most people the current price of this hose is beyond ridiculous. So it is time to figure out a fix.

This hose is actually really weird. You would think it would connect directly to throttle body from the factory. But that is not the case it is a two piece hose. The other weird thing about the hose is it actually lined on the inside with plastic. Then there is about 1/2 and inch of plastic sticking out of the rubber hose. This hose is then insert into a 2 inch hose that connects to your throttle body.

The 1/2 inch extended piece of plastic broke off of mine. So there was no way to connect to the section on the throttle body. I cut back the rubber hose 3/4 of inch back from crack end of plastic. I then use a hack saw to cut the plastic flush. Then I reinsert this plastic piece back into the throttle body and secure it with a worm clamp.

I hope this helps someone out. ;ol;
Thanks for sharing this. It is one of the weirdest hoses I have ever seen. Mine was really cracked/rotted. Thankfully I had a spare one that was in better shape from a car I had parted out, so I ended up pulling the needed section from that hose. But nice job figuring out a fix! ;ol;

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
That same hose broke on my wife's 9-5 a few months ago. It was barely hanging on, and having that huge gaping hole in the back of the throttle body caused the check engine light to come on with several codes, and the car was barely able to idle. I wrapped the cracked hose with quite a few layers of electrical tape, which seemed to seal it up pretty well. The car hasn't had an issue since. I've tried to get one of those hoses off of a junkyard car a few times, but they've all either been cracked already, or nearly fallen apart while I tried to get the hose off the throttle body. I'll have to look at the car's again sometime to see if it has the same hard plastic lining. That looks like a more permanent fix than what I did.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Funny, when I disassembled my engine I had a similar problem. I cracked the part of that line that leads to the BPC valve. At first, I used some foil heat tape but it started falling off after the initial startup heat cycle. Here’s what I did. Cleaned, sanded, flexible/sandable epoxy reinforced with drywall mesh, Dremel sanding, two layers of heavy duty heat shrink tubing,.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The blue NRVs are prone to failing open. I just replaced the whole pipe with fuel hose (don't bother with silicone, its porous to fuel/oil) and aluminium NRVs.

Doug

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The blue NRVs are prone to failing open. I just replaced the whole pipe with fuel hose (don't bother with silicone, its porous to fuel/oil) and aluminium NRVs.

Doug
My car is a 06' with 180k on it. I have not had the NRV fail yet. So no reason to replace it. ;ol;

·
Registered
9,478 Posts
My car is a 06' with 180k on it. I have not had the NRV fail yet. So no reason to replace it. ;ol;
You also have the revised evap system that doesn't reduce your boost if the valves fail. I modified the system on my 2000 so it more or less mirrors the later models. One less thing to worry about, and the car started boosting higher right after making the modification! ;ol;

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You also have the revised evap system that doesn't reduce your boost if the valves fail. I modified the system on my 2000 so it more or less mirrors the later models. One less thing to worry about, and the car started boosting higher right after making the modification! ;ol;
Good info. It has been about 10 years since i have owned and older saab.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts