SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'd like to say this seems to be a great forum with a good community. I've been searching up one side and down the other to get some ideas.

I bought this car about 2 weeks ago. Got a good deal with the knowledge that I'd have to do some work. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that the ignition cassette would go and leave me riding the bus...anyway, that's fixed, but....

I have a rattle of some sort coming from the rear end that stops when I hit the brakes. I think that it is coming from the drivers side rear wheel. It does seem to clank a bit when I roll over bumps.

The only real history I've got that's related is that the brakes were replaced all around about 3K ago. I did take the left rear wheel off and found everything to be in order. Everything looks to be tight.

Ideas?

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Welcome to Saab Central Vern!

One thing it could be is the parking brake ... on our car, they are inside the rotor ... I think I've got a similar thing going on ... I need to pull everything apart one of these days and take a look.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I would still check out the entire rear suspension - for this task - nothing like a hydraulic lift. Then throughly inspect the exhaust system..

Try applying the hand brake at 30 mph as see if the rattle stops or if anything happens..
But I still think it has something to do with the recent brake job..
In other words, was there any rattle before the work ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
earthworm--I didn't have the car when the brakes were done, so I don't know if there was anything different before or after. I guess I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the brakes..else why would the rattle quit when I apply the brakes?

It's hard to tell with the parking brake because the thing has to 'ding-dong' at me. By the time It quits, I've decelerated enough that I'm not hearing it, but I'll try again in the morning.

SaabScott--You say the parking brake shoes are under the rotor--That's a new one on me...Anyway, how bad is it to take apart? Is that one hex screw the only keeper for the rotor??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts