SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after keeping my '92 vert in storage for 3 months, I get home, fire it up, drive around the block, and a brake line fails. I got home fine by going slow, and relying on the remaining brake circuit and it's limited braking power (like an idiot).

By following the puddles, it was easy to see that there's a leak in the rear driver-side line, near the wheel and where the exhaust goes over the rear axle. I'm not completely sure if the line rusted itself, or it failed because it was rubbing against the scaly rust of the rear axle. The replacement part would have been 30520298, if it was still obtainable.

Now I've never done my own brake lines, and I've been planning on selling the car: I knew the rust was catching up to it. Patching or remaking the line is probably something that I'm up for, but I don't think that I like the idea of learning that on the job, only to sell it. Especially when there's the possibility of additional rusty horrors hiding somewhere.

You guys have helped me keep the car on road for a good number of years, so I was wondering if you have any opinions or advise. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Making brake lines is not particularly difficult and pretty cheap on the whole... I'd expect to fix this for less than $30, maybe less than $10 depending on the nature of the issue. If it's not something you want to tackle, any shop should be able to do the same for very little.

You'll need to climb under there to see what the nature of the problem is and if/how extensive rust is... there's obviously limits to worthwhile repair. The only way to know what you're up against is to look.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts