SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my rear defroster isnt warming up (at all) to de-fog the glass (like after parking outside and trying to drive in early morning), but it used to work. i DID however scrape off the purple-faded tinting film on my back window, and i was wondering if i could've scraped off the metal that is the defroster. if i unplug the plug that's on one end, and check its voltage (to ground) i get about 10.4VDC when the defroster is on. relay problem???

also, the switch seems to be termpermental, sometimes i push it and it lights up (dash bulb) then goes off instantly, and takes a few tries to get it to stay on. could it be my switch?

any ideas????
do i need to replace the glass????? . . . . . i sure hope not!

David

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
You should have battery voltage at the terminal on the screen, you could have resistance in the relay causing a low reading. However, it sounds like you may have damaged the element on the inside of the screen. Use your meter to check for currant at various points on the screen you should be able to find any damage using this method.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you find you have damaged the defroster, you can repair it. Permatex makes a product called "Quick Grid" rear window defogger repair kit. You can find it at any parts store, maybe even Walmart. It works great, used it myself, even when my brand new 9-5 got delivered with a damaged defroster.:cheesy:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts