SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone confirm for me which wires are the positives and the negatives for the two rear 6x9 speakers in a 1998 NG900 coupe? For example, the driver's side (US left hand drive) set color is purple and purple with a white stripe. I can't find a decent wiring diagram online anywhere...

Thanks,

AB

· Registered
76 Posts
Purple Right Rear +
Purple/Black Right Rear -

Green Left Rear +
Green/Black Left Rear -

Taken directly from the Crutchfield wiring diagram.

I will be taking my head unit out next week to fit a trim plate. But I hooked mine up with purple for right and green for left. Everything is working good.

· Registered
21,586 Posts
http://www.kolumbus.fi/richard.bevan/saab/saab93/menu_bar.html

Perhaps this will be of assistance..looks good..
All I know about the two leads to the speakers is that if they are switched, the sound quality will suffer.., on the short term, I do not think that the speakers will be harmed..
Your multimeter could be tried to see what each lead has....in the way of volts or amps..

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
After fixing the driver's side speaker wire (which is actually brown, not purple), I checked the passanger's side. When I got into that, the colors made no sense, so I went back to the internet. After a very long time, I found this site:
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehiclewiring/1/yeard/Saab.html

For futrue references on the wiring diagram for 1998 Saab NG900 Stereo Wiring:

Constant 12V+ Red
Switched 12V+ Blue
Ground Black
Illumination n/a
Dimmer Gray/White
Antenna Trigger Black/White

Left Front (+)Light Brown
Left Front (-)Light Brown/Gray
Right Front (+)Brown/Black
Right Front (-)Brown/Red

Left Rear (+) Brown
Left Rear (-) Brown/White
Right Rear (+) Black/Green
Right Rear (-) Black/White

Nice thing about this by the way, it that they seem to be right. Each of the color combinations matched up with my car's wires exactly. I don't know why car makers can't just use good ol' red and black :D

Adam

· Registered
67 Posts
After fixing the driver's side speaker wire (which is actually brown, not purple), I checked the passanger's side. When I got into that, the colors made no sense, so I went back to the internet. After a very long time, I found this site:
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehiclewiring/1/yeard/Saab.html

For futrue references on the wiring diagram for 1998 Saab NG900 Stereo Wiring:

Constant 12V+ Red
Switched 12V+ Blue
Ground Black
Illumination n/a
Dimmer Gray/White
Antenna Trigger Black/White

Right Front (-)Brown/Red

Left Rear (+) Brown
Left Rear (-) Brown/White

Nice thing about this by the way, it that they seem to be right. Each of the color combinations matched up with my car's wires exactly. I don't know why car makers can't just use good ol' red and black :D

Adam
This coding is wrong for the left rear. Positive always goes to the terminal numbered 2 on the connector. I verified the coding on the back of the radio. Correct coding is:

Right Front (-)Brown/Red

Left Rear (+) Brown/White
Left Rear (-) Brown

· Registered
67 Posts
If the wires are reversed, the speaker will pull air in instead of pushing air out. This will greatly reduce the amount of air that the speaker moves... Ron
When I first installed the speakers I didn't have a schematic, so I assumed that 1 was positive and 2 was negative. 50/50 shot and I got it wrong. Sounded washed out. When I found this thread, I started changing it, but the left rear didn't jive.

· Registered
351 Posts
I ended up having a similar problem.... unfortunately in my case the wires were grounding out!, so i went ahead and ran new larger speaker cabling to the rear.... took a while but it was all worth it in the end... no more small gauge wire for a good sound system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.