SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some nice polybushes for the rear suspension, made a tool for pushing them in and prepared an assortment of weaponry for extracting the old ones. On inspection there was loads of play ( not suprising after 10 years) so this must introduce a lot of 'rear steer' when any lateral load is applied. But - what is this? - I can't see any way of removing the long bolt on the LH side without removing the exhaust:evil: :evil: This has changed a tough but straightforwards job into a major undertaking which I'm afraid I will have to abandon untill I can get access to a garage of pay to have it done:x

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The exhaust does not appear to be that difficult to partially remove, but the car probably has to be elevated and on ramps..

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Done them - 2 hours for both sides. Undid the shocks at the lower end and back 3 exhaust hangers and there was just enough room to squeeze the bolt past the fat 3" exhaust. I supported the rear axle near the hub with an axle stand and there was just enough clearance and brake pipe slack to drop the link and change the bushes. This was a lot easier than I had expected - used a 10mm drill to cut away the nylon outer sleeve and the bush just pulled out by hand after a bit of leavering from a screwdriver. After a liberal coat of copper grease I used a big lump hammer to tap the new bushes in and then the inner sleeves. WOW - what an improvement - the car feels much more secure, solid and responsive. The biggest thing is the elimination of torque steer - and I'm talking night and day differences here. It used to pull all over the place when the power came on but now it just goes faster in a straight line with utter confindence. This should be a priority upgrade IMO!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Shirozina said:
WOW - what an improvement - the car feels much more secure, solid and responsive. The biggest thing is the elimination of torque steer - and I'm talking night and day differences here. It used to pull all over the place when the power came on but now it just goes faster in a straight line with utter confindence. This should be a priority upgrade IMO!
Thanks for that - you've now convinced me to fit the ones in my garage as my torque steer is horrendous even with the clamp!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go for it - just make sure you have an 18mm ring spanner for the inner nut (I forgot mine and had to waste time with an adjustable). I can't wait to drive mine again as it feels like I'm actualy in control of the car for the first time - not a feeling I've had since I had a c900:cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.