SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 9-5 black.....

How difficult is it to blend paint into existing paint? I thought about just taking the skin off and getting it professionally done. I’m guessing that will be 3-400.00. Areas are at corners.
Or with my DIY cost saving mind, sand, mask off the areas, fill, and get a can of stock black to spray. I’m just assessing my options, the former being the best outcome, the latter being more difficult to spot?
I’m good with a rattle can, but then there is the gloss factor as well. Appreciate the input. Even if I could prep the areas first before taking it somewhere, what would I need?

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
You could DIY. A few points: the bumper is flexible and cracked the paint so it must be sanded down to the substrate. You'll need a flex agent mixed with the paints (primer, color, clear) to do it right - which a rattle can won't have - but a body shop would have. If you decide to DIY and assuming yours is a stock Saab black, buy a Duplicolor black mica paint, it has fine flakes in it which will better match the stock Saab black. To blend it, spray the black and gradually fade it away from the body worked area. Then, clear coat it overlapping the black and extending it a little further. Then, spray a blending solvent (available in rattle cans from a body shop supplier) following the directions exactly. You'll spray the blending solvent at the edge of the clear coat where it fades away. The solvent softens and flattens the orange peel/dried dust-like edge of the clear, "melting" it into the surrounding finish. Once it hardens, you lightly scuff it wet with 1000-1500, compound and polish and you should get a good result.

Of course, if you're not happy with the result then you could have a body shop do it - it shouldn't cost any more since they'll sand and scuff the entire bumper cover anyway.

If you're unfamiliar with how to blend, practice on scrap metal off the car.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
My advice: remove rear bumper and paint it separately. Use Saab color.
Doing this is much easier than fade, sand etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
this is perfect. have to do the same thing for my 9-5 wagon. that clear coat is just gone. i have hazelnut paint. this seems like a good project for the summer!

·
Registered
79 Posts
this is perfect. have to do the same thing for my 9-5 wagon. that clear coat is just gone. i have hazelnut paint. this seems like a good project for the summer!
If just the clearcoat is gone why would not just spray new clearcoat?
Basecoat has been weather and just spraying clear it will not look nice and the clear would fail prematurely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts