SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'99 vert

I'm replacing the rear struts and springs. The rear bump stops are in pieces so I'm looking to replace those too, but looking at eEuro and eSaabparts they seem to be $60 each...

Are there any after market options? Do I even need them? I can't seem to justify my wallet $120 for two pieces of rubber

Also, in people's experience, do people often even replace the springs? Are they like the 9-5 Aero's where they tend to sag, or is it one of those things that will always hold their integrity? Mine are pretty rusty crusty but both stand (outside of the car) at the same height

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
If you look around, you might find Moog replacements. I bought a pair a couple of years ago, but had the order them from different places because I couldn't find anyone who had them both in stock. They are the actual OEM German-made parts, but for half the price and sold in a Moog box.

I've never heard of the stock rear springs on a NG900 or 9-3 sagging. The OG9-5 seems to be the one and only Saab that suffers from spring sag. I did have a pair of Abbott springs sag in the back of my NG900, though. I eventually replaced them with stock Viggen springs, which is when I also decided to replace the deteriorating bump stops.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's one stop on eSaabParts that seems like it fits both sides and then there's another set of stops, one for each side. Do you happen to know which I should be looking for?

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
The ones I had bought were handed. The inner part that actually does the bump stopping was angled slightly differently between the two. I used those because they were labeled as being for 16" or larger wheels, and I have 17" wheels on my car.

I just checked RockAuto, and they list both the L and R bump stops as available. They're slightly different prices, but about $30 each. They're under "Coil Spring Seat/Insulator" in the Suspension section.

Just a note, they are somewhat of a PITA to install. I lubed them up with dish soap, jacked up the car, and then lowered the car so the weight of it would press the bump stops into the springs. That worked pretty well, although I had to stop lowering it periodically to adjust the springs and the bump stops.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, found them, thanks! I think I'll settle for $30 each. K90405 and K90406

Thanks for the tips, I can tell it's not going to be the most fun to put them back together

Still not sure if I should replace the springs or not. $40 for OEM ones on eEuro isn't that bad. I am chasing the problem of the rear sagging unevenly. I was able to notice the car sagged towards the passenger side from the rear. I'm finding it hard to understand how bad struts could cause this, as my understanding is that the springs hold the car up and the struts dampen movement when driving. So if the car is stationary, why would the struts make the car sag if they are not in use?

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
I wonder if someone else read this thread and bought them? They showed as being in stock when I looked at them earlier today, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts