SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi So I recently bought a used 2004 saab 9-5 arc wagon. Great car no problems. Went in to get my inspection today in NY and they failed the car due to rear brake issue. They show'd me the rotors, which had small rust spots on them. The pads and rotor are over 85% left. They said that I would need new rotors, pads and maybe even calipers.

I suspect that maybe the calipers are seized, from possibly sitting on the lot for a while.

I noticed when driving that the front brakes do most of the work, and the front rims have a lot of brake dust while the rear do not, or barely any.

I drove around the block braking quite hard, and checked the rotors again. Front were very hot, and the rears were barely warm.

Any ideas on what I should rule out before changing the calipers? It seems to me a bit odd that both rear calipers have failed.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,293 Posts
Hi So I recently bought a used 2004 saab 9-5 arc wagon. Great car no problems. Went in to get my inspection today in NY and they failed the car due to rear brake issue. They show'd me the rotors, which had small rust spots on them. The pads and rotor are over 85% left. They said that I would need new rotors, pads and maybe even calipers.

I suspect that maybe the calipers are seized, from possibly sitting on the lot for a while.

I noticed when driving that the front brakes do most of the work, and the front rims have a lot of brake dust while the rear do not, or barely any.

I drove around the block braking quite hard, and checked the rotors again. Front were very hot, and the rears were barely warm.

Any ideas on what I should rule out before changing the calipers? It seems to me a bit odd that both rear calipers have failed.

Your fronts will get more brake dust than the backs even when the backs are working. Miswell just clean the front wheels on this car, because the backs always look new. Just my 2 cents, but you could take off the calipers and clean them up real good ( see if the pistons will even push into the caliper), put it all back together and bleed all 4. Some rebuild the calipers, others just replace. Don't know the cost savings in a rebuild v.s. new.... or based on condition, if a rebuild is worth it. PB Blaster and the like do well in freeing things up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update

So I flushed the brake fluid from the entire car yesterday. I think its the first time the brake fluid has been renewed. A few small bubbles but no real concern. The rear brakes are a bit better but not by much.

I noticed when using brake cleaner that there is movement in the pistons.

I guess next I'll try to clean the pins.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,293 Posts
So I flushed the brake fluid from the entire car yesterday. I think its the first time the brake fluid has been renewed. A few small bubbles but no real concern. The rear brakes are a bit better but not by much.

I noticed when using brake cleaner that there is movement in the pistons.

I guess next I'll try to clean the pins.

Can you get the piston all the way into the caliper? Do you have a C clamp, otherwise it won't budge at all. Make sure you loosen the cap on your brake fluid resovoir and extract a little fluid out prior to doing this. You will have a mess otherwise. The piston should go into the caliper flush pretty much, w/out much effort using a C clamp. If the piston is working right that is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rear Brake update

Hey so I finished the rear brakes on my car. Thanks for all the help. The pistons were fine after all. The issue was that the previous owner just replaced the pads (maybe twice) on the same rotor. The Rotor had a high wall on the outside, that the pads never wore down. So by the time the car got its last set of pads, and in conjunction with sitting for a few months before I purchased the car, the rotors began to rust (surface) and the high wall actually rusted. The pads were getting caught up on the high wall on one end and therefore only having minimal contact with the rotor surface.

I replaced pads, rotors and flush the fluid from the car. Brakes working properly now.

Thanks ;ol;

1 - 5 of 5 Posts