SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to put rear pads on my new addition, a '90 T 4-door, so I made the initial attempt last night. It did not go well at all. The recessed adjustment allen screws are stripped, either by my hand or some other previous mechanic. I was able to get the new pads in and everything bolted back together just fine however one side is making a pretty substantial noise which I think is just the pads moving around (loose/bent spring clip perhaps?).

Am I correct that the only "real" purpose of that adjustment bolt is for the parking brake so I don't have to worry about it for the time being?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
It will prevent the pads from going all the way in, so you may have the pad touching the disc forcibly.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
You need to properly adjust the handbrake, otherwise the constant pad friction against the disc will generate excessive heat, affecting brake fluid and perhaps even wheel bearing - name just two.

I believe those adjustment grub screws are deliberately made from softer metal so that they break instead of something more expensive. You might be able to get them out by using a slightly larger Allen key or a Torx bit.

Otherwise, remove the caliper and dismantle it to get the bolt out.

This is not a problem that can be ignored, IMHO.

·
4,637 Posts
I'm not sure of this, but there might be something like a circlip holding the adjuster in. It's a small enough part and is removable out the adjustment hole. It can be replaced without breaking the hydraulic seal of the caliper so no bleeding up is necessary. There's an adjuster brake kit listed as saab part number 4107793 {for 1990 model year but should be the same for all rear handbrake models}

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This thread began almost three weeks ago but I did get the pads in without further incident and everything is working well. The noise was from a bent spring clip, it was not putting pressure evenly on the pad so the pad was moving around. Once that was bent back into the correct shape, no more noise.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
just to add my 2 pence-worth.

I had a problem with that grub screw and I removed it. The screw is there to adjust the piston. But if you have the problem illustrated below the only way to resolve the issue is to remove the circlip and drop the screw out of the caliper. Once the screw is out of the caliper you can adjust the piston by turning the cog with a screwdriver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts