SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read numerous posts of lamp failure messages that display on the SID. Many seem to be caused by having "un-matched" lamps installed; eg. replacing a burned-out OEM lamp with some Autozone equivalent resulting in a different current draw compared to the corresponding OEM lamp on the other side of the car. I'm getting this rear brake light failure a couple of times a day now. Most often, it comes on within a few minutes of starting the car when it below 35°F. For those who don't already know, the rear tail and brake lights on a SC are an LED array. There appear to be twenty LED's per side that run at a lower voltage for taillights, and a higher voltage when the brakes are applied. All of mine appear to be working properly every time I check. The manual states that the warning message will only appear if 3/4 of all the LED's on one side are broken. Any other SC owners out there having this issue? I'm inclined to think that this seems to be temperature related, that I might have a bad connection somewhere. Maybe a cold solder joint on the LED array itself. Yes, the car is in warranty, but I don't have a good feeling about having the dealership try to find an intermittant problem like this. I can already hear them saying "We couldn't find anything wrong". Any other thoughts as to what might be going on?

·
Registered
317 Posts
The problem is intermitent and only when cold? I would just take it in and get it taken care of. Leave it there a few days if need be. Hopefully your dealer won't give you a chevy malibu. :evil:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts