SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owners manual says to only have an authorized Saab dealer change the rear brake pads because of special procedures and adjustments that are required.

I would like to do my own rear pad replacement. Is the job really as tricky as the manual would like you to believe?

I plan to pick up the Bentley manual before I work the job.

This is my first Saab.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
No it isn't a highly technical procedure.

The key to remember is there is a 14mm plug on the back of the caliper. In there is a 4mm allen screw that holds the piston out -> this is adjustment for parking brake. When you replace the pads, you may need to push in the piston farther than it wants to go. The reason - the 4mm allen screw in there is holding it back. So before you go all crazy with a C-clamp just loosen the 4mm screw in there and the piston will float nicely inside. Put a dab of grease on the slidepins and install the wheel.

·
4,637 Posts
You also need to adjust the brakes after you fit the pads. To do this:

1. wind in the 4mm allen key until the pads contact the disc.
  2. Tap the caliper lightly with a hammer to settle everything in place
  3. wind back the allen key a turn or two
  4. Wind in the allen key until the disc locks
  5. wind back the allen key 1/4 turn
  6. rinse and repeat for the other side
That should leave you with a properly adjuster rear brake and a properly adjusted handbrake...

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Shan -

THAT IS A BEAUTIFUL REAR BRAKE :eek: :D

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Shan said:
Thanks 900t, everything standard there, no fancy mods ;)
All the ones I see are all caked rust :(

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
You may have trouble with step 1
The anti-rattle clip can be corroded and frozen in the caliper. Some penetrating oil and time to penetrate will free it up.
Put a dab of grease or anti-seize compound in the holes before refitting the clip.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
reviving an old thread in the FAQ... thats what they're for

saabarealla has her MOT on tuesday (3 weeks late... ooops)

i have issues with my handbrake on the right rear caliper. i cant get the the blooming thing set. ive followed haynes (rubbish - MUST GET BENTLEY ;oops: )
last time replaced the pads, i had to get a new caliper for that corner, as the piston was siexed and couldnt draw it back to get the new pads in - so i got a 2nd hand caliper for 20 quid, which was fine, but couldnt ge the handbarks set (no probllem, liverpool's not known for its hills).

i swapped calipers again from my spare car (turned out to be nice recon units... this donor keeps on paying for itself :cool: ), but still cant get the handbrake set. it either binds too much with the handbrake off, or the handbrake doesnt opperate on that caliper

the picture is crap in haynes, and talks about setting 2mm gap between the lever and caliper body, as well as the adjuster under the rear seat - but i just cant seem to get it set :evil:

am i missing something, and being a clutz as usual?
any suggestions and pointers?

G

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
drg23 said:
saabarealla has her MOT on tuesday (3 weeks late... ooops)

i have issues with my handbrake on the right rear caliper. i cant get the the blooming thing set. ive followed haynes (rubbish - MUST GET BENTLEY ;oops: )
last time replaced the pads, i had to get a new caliper for that corner, as the piston was siexed and couldnt draw it back to get the new pads in - so i got a 2nd hand caliper for 20 quid, which was fine, but couldnt ge the handbarks set (no probllem, liverpool's not known for its hills).

i swapped calipers again from my spare car (turned out to be nice recon units... this donor keeps on paying for itself :cool: ), but still cant get the handbrake set. it either binds too much with the handbrake off, or the handbrake doesnt opperate on that caliper

the picture is crap in haynes, and talks about setting 2mm gap between the lever and caliper body, as well as the adjuster under the rear seat - but i just cant seem to get it set :evil:

am i missing something, and being a clutz as usual?
any suggestions and pointers?

G
I had a similar issue. The problem was the little allen adjuster in the caliper itself was too loose, and thus I couldn't get anything from the cable. Loosen the interior adjuster then tighten the caliper one, also make sure the lever isn't stuck and can move all the way out.

I posted a great exploded-view picture of the caliper assembly a month ago, can't remember WHERE it is now...

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
they're not brilliant... Celestion Ditton 33's... they are my flatmates, and only used for the digibox and dvd's.

these are my babies tho..... (internet image as my phone isnt talking to my pc for some reason)

i got them a few years ago, and totaly love them. they fill the living room with sound, despite them being bunched in a corner, at ear hieght when im standing up and mixing (graduated from bedroom to living room dj a while ago ;) :cool: ), and the room being 24ft long, 16ft wide, and 12ft high... i LOVE these old victorian houses.... apparently this one was the Greek consulate and Ambassadors residence originally (we have regular Ferrero Rocher parties ;) )

G

pussy cat tea cosy is called Molly by the way, and the Tea Pot she cosets is Bertha, and serves 10 :cool:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Shan said:
A short DIY writeup including pics at the following :

http://www.geocities.com/classicsaab900/16v_Rear_Pad/index.html

enjoy :)
Great piece of information......but im also planning on doing the rear brakes this weekend...and I need to get the rotors off. Is there anything else different from the front brakes that I need to worry about other than the 4mm key?

THanks a million guys

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was looking through this post hoping to use the link posted as a guide to do the brakes on my car, but it appears it is no longer hosted.

Does anyone know if has been moved or where I can find a similar one?

Thank you!

·
Registered
843 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts