SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time for me to do the rear rotors and finally fix the seized parking brake which has never worked during the time I've had the car. I've done the pads before but never have had the rotors/calipers off, or messed with the parking brake.

For the parking brake I'm assuming its an exhaust-off, cable replacement job. Anything else I should be aware of before diving in on that or the rotors? Any potential hang ups?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The cables are probably rusted(frozen) in place..These are a weak link in the "emergency" or hand brake system.
Normally, the shoes last forever or 200K plus.
The exhaust stays in place, as does the fuel tank, which does impede things.
Here is "one".. How many drivers know that the e-brake should be set BEFORE park position is selected ???
How many even use the "e-brake" anymore ? :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes, I had forgotten about the fuel tank. Are you saying the cable can in fact be replaced with the exhaust and fuel tank still in place? If the tank needs to be lowered, I think I will continue living with a non-functional ebrake :)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more go for any last minute insight on the parking brake repair, I'm going to be making the order soon and need to decide whether or not to bother ordering the cable. Thanks all!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Absolutely:cheesy:
Just 20-30 minutes to remove the two cables and 20-30 hours trying to figure out how the cables are reinstalled;oops: ....3 months later.....it pays to remember how they are routed....they do follow a tortuous path.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I admire those who have the patience to photograph and write up how-tos like that. That's useful for knowing what I'm getting into around the parking brake inside the rotor hat. The last time I did my rear pads the retention pins were a bear, I am hoping the bolts and other fittings don't prove to be as bad.

·
Registered
18,924 Posts
Ah yes, I had forgotten about the fuel tank. Are you saying the cable can in fact be replaced with the exhaust and fuel tank still in place? If the tank needs to be lowered, I think I will continue living with a non-functional ebrake :)
There was a write up here from one guy who did it without loosening the tank strap. Most folks at least loosen the strap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts