SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere, maybe even somewhere on this forum, I have read about a fairly simple modification that may be done to the rear axle assembly to move it to the center of the rear wheel wells in order to minimize the rubbing of tires on the inside of the rear wheel wells.

I have searched the site in vain. Can any of you gents direct me to information that describes what modifications should be done and how they are accomplished? Last week I pulled a good rear axle assembly out of a 92 3 door cadaver that I bought for its 5 speed that is now in the 94 vert.

I now have 16" super aeros with 205/55's on the 91 vert (they look and handle mahvlus). With a full load and full suspension compression, I am getting a quick "brrrrrrrtttt" sound that I would like to eliminate!:cheesy:

Thanks!

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I remember that thread , but cant find it. Something about moving the axle 10 mm. forward or aft. I'd like to re-read that too.:cool:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, gents. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! :D

Both verts will end up with centered rear axles and no inside rear fender rubbing (brrrrrrrrttt) at full suspension compression.

Muchas Garcias......:cheesy:

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
a big difference will be realised if you put proper sized tires on.... the 55 series tires are for the 9000's.... 205 50 16's are order of the day for the 900

as they are slightly lower profile than the 55, they "look" a little more proportioned, and reduce the likelyhood of the rub

ive had 205 50 16's on my really low 900, and only had rubbing issues when fully loaded with 4 people and weeks camping/beer equipment in the boot

G

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Yep - look here:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

205/55/16 is the wrong overal radius for the car. You should fit 205/50/16 instead.

I've 205/50/16, and had pretty bad rubbing until I trimmed the aero wheel arches a bit on the underside. This is due to the excessively low ride height of the car. On a standard suspension setup you should be fine.
I'm going to solve it for good by adding spacers to raise the rear of the car a bit, and lengthening the bump stops. ( might add spring assistors at the same time )

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advise on the tire size. After I run thru the 205/55's I will drop back to "50" aspect ratio tires. The wheels I acquired had really nice Kumho's with 75% rubber on them. Being cheep, I will try to wear them out first. I'm hoping that centering up the wheels in the wells will help. Stiffer springs and new shock absorbers wouldn't hurt, either.......

The rubbing happened with all four of us in the car with a boot (trunk in these here parts) load of food and drink running at flank to and from a friend's place some 40 miles away for the annual Thanksgiving Day celebration----burp. :cheesy: Pavement undulations and dips taken at 70+ would elicit the "brrrrrrrtttt". I suspect there is a shiny spot on the inside of the rear fenders!

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Gabby said:
Pavement undulations and dips taken at 70+ would elicit the "brrrrrrrtttt". I suspect there is a shiny spot on the inside of the rear fenders!

exactly the same happened on the way to Le Mans last year.... 4 peaople, boot full with gear and beer...

when i got back (1800miles :eek:), i checked the inner arches and it done more than created a "shiney" spot, the tyre had rubbed through the arch trim, and all the way thru the paint, and down to bare metal... out came the "paintwork toolbox" and it was all sealed back up with etch primer, zinc oxide and stone chip

G

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
drg23 said:
exactly the same happened on the way to Le Mans last year.... 4 peaople, boot full with gear and beer...

when i got back (1800miles :eek:), i checked the inner arches and it done more than created a "shiney" spot, the tyre had rubbed through the arch trim, and all the way thru the paint, and down to bare metal... out came the "paintwork toolbox" and it was all sealed back up with etch primer, zinc oxide and stone chip
And I bet the noise had been driving you round the bend all that trip.

A chav brought a Saxo into my mate's workshop a while back. Lowered, big wide ultra low profile tyres on something like 17" rims - usual story.

It'd dumped all the coolant on the road...
...because one front tyre had rubbed through the bottom hose.

The tyres had also rubbed through all four arch liners and plenty of arch paint, a couple of areas of inner arch - yes, clear through the metal - and, best of all, the fuel pipe from filler neck to tank could just about be seen through...

It left the workshop on standard fit skinny rubber on steel rims...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Does this mod work for a late 99? With a 900 rear axle? Is it only worthwhile if larger tyes are fitted or is it largely cosmetic?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it will help with even "light" rubbing with standard tires. Our 94 vert has standard rims and 195.60.15's. There is still a "clean" patch on the outermost part of the inner fender liner where it clears the shock absorber. same spot wast there on the 88 Moving the tire forward .4" may well do the trick of pulling the vertical centerline forward of the outer apex of the inner fender liner--or so I have read.

Once I get the mod done, I will try to remember to report back in on the results.

It will be a good opportunity to fit new springs while I am at it since they simply fall into your lap while you remove the axle. I don't necessarily want to lower the car, but I would like stiffer springs--any suggestions from the Peanut Gallery?? (prolly not many of you out there that watched Buffalo Bob and Howdy Doody, Chief ThunderThud and Mr. Buster as a nipper)

Thanks.:D

·
Registered
310 Posts
Genty said:
Does this mod work for a late 99? With a 900 rear axle? Is it only worthwhile if larger tyes are fitted or is it largely cosmetic?
bringing the axle forward, even 1/2" would be enough to make a difference on turn in and cornering, though would trade some top speed stability. that, along with the cosmetics

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
xassh said:
bringing the axle forward, even 1/2" would be enough to make a difference on turn in and cornering, though would trade some top speed stability. that, along with the cosmetics
doesnt appear to be any loss of cosmetics on Alex's car ;)

G

·
Registered
161 Posts
The instructions say to only cut one support arm - not both. Surely you need to do this on both sides. Am I being a retard?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Another reason for rear wheels rubbing can be rear springs that are 'sagging'. My 85 900i 'experimentation' car had that problem. Replaced the rear springs with brand new ones (genuine Lesjofor's springs!) and the problem was solved.

My 89 16V 3-door hatch has a bit of rubbing at the back when I've attributed to the car being used to carry lots of stuff over the years. I've got aero/spg 3-spoke 15" ronal's with 195/60R15 Goodyear Eagle-Ventura tyres so they're not over-sized.

Could also be due to the more flexible body transferring twisting easier to the rear wheels too.

Craig.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My reading of the instructions is to cut one rear arm, and reserve the other as a "template" of sorts to help keep the angles aligned correctly as the other one is welded up. Then cut the other one, and use your lengthened arm as a template for your second alteration.

I read it more than once for the same reason.

Good luck.

My extra rear axle is sitting in the back of my pick-up waiting for a day when it is not raining. Wet here today--I am not complaining, though.

We are waaaaay behind in rainfall with very low potable water reservoirs. The Atlanta area gets by with less water storage than most settlements with our population.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts