SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the car has two lights next two the main bulbs. They are in the ones closest to the center grille piece. What do they do? I mean, put the light switch in the middle, to the rigth, high beams on/off. Hazards, turn signals, nothing turns them on. Are they just decoration? Or do they only turn on for christmas and flash green and red.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You have 3 bulbs - small one= side light, the larger H7'S are main beam and high beam. The high beam being the one closest to the grille
P

·
Registered
740 Posts
Most likely you have bi-xenon headlights. In this case your xenon lights serve as both low and high beam. The inside halogens serve only one purpose - flash-to-pass feature. If you pull on the high beam stalk gently (just to flash, not to engage the beams) - they will flash.

·
Registered
805 Posts
walmark said:
Most likely you have bi-xenon headlights. In this case your xenon lights serve as both low and high beam. The inside halogens serve only one purpose - flash-to-pass feature. If you pull on the high beam stalk gently (just to flash, not to engage the beams) - they will flash.
I think he has DLR (daytime running lights) so those halogen lights will never turn on unless you have the DLR fuse out.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Actually I think the best explaination was from someone else who said, depending on how your car was setup via tech2 and of course which market, in North America, they are just decoration.
Flashing with the stalk, decoration, okay whatever.

If anyone knows which menu to go into via the tech2, I would be interested to know so I can switch it over to the European market, where they actually get used.

Regards,
cse_20

·
Registered
708 Posts
blinktude said:
I think he has DLR (daytime running lights) so those halogen lights will never turn on unless you have the DLR fuse out.
Even with the fuse out, they do nothing.
All this does is make the switch work as it's labeled.
OFF - Parking lights - main lights on

Regards,
cse_20

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hah, so they don't do anything! Well i'll check my fuses and try that passing flash thing see if they turn on. Not too sure about daytime running lights cuz when i flip the switch to that what could be the setting the lights are on all the time.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Knifemundo said:
Hah, so they don't do anything! Well i'll check my fuses and try that passing flash thing see if they turn on. Not too sure about daytime running lights cuz when i flip the switch to that what could be the setting the lights are on all the time.

From what I understand, if you have DRL fuse inserted, the front beams will be on regardless of the knob position. Flash will only engage the highbeams.

If your DRL fuse is taken out, the front beam will be off when the knob is turned counterclockwise. Flashing at this position will engage the halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
708 Posts
blinktude said:
From what I understand, if you have DRL fuse inserted, the front beams will be on regardless of the knob position. Flash will only engage the highbeams.

If your DRL fuse is taken out, the front beam will be off when the knob is turned counterclockwise. Flashing at this position will engage the halogen bulbs.
Sorry, but I just tried it just in case, with the fuse out, and with the knob in any position all you hear and see is the Bi-Xenon shutter flip, low to high.

I had tried every possible combination to get the center halogens to light up, but no can do, without the right setup via the tech2, again as explained from one of the main gurus here.
Regards,
cse_20

·
Registered
805 Posts
cse_20 said:
Sorry, but I just tried it just in case, with the fuse out, and with the knob in any position all you hear and see is the Bi-Xenon shutter flip, low to high.

I had tried every possible combination to get the center halogens to light up, but no can do, without the right setup via the tech2, again as explained from one of the main gurus here.
Regards,
cse_20
Oh I didn't know you had the '06+ model. I believe its against the law to disable DRL because its a bit like insurance fraud. The new models don't let you disable DRL simply via pulling out the fuse. You'll probably have to go to the dealer for it.

It works great on mine.

·
Registered
708 Posts
blinktude said:
Oh I didn't know you had the '06+ model. I believe its against the law to disable DRL because its a bit like insurance fraud. The new models don't let you disable DRL simply via pulling out the fuse. You'll probably have to go to the dealer for it.

It works great on mine.
My point was not to disable the DRL, but to get the Halogens working.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm not sure 100% but the guy I bought my car from told me they were back-up headlights. They will only come on when your main headlights are out (I'm not sure if it needs 1 or both to be out either).

·
Registered
740 Posts
o_O never heard of this before... sounds a little shady to me...

backup headlights? When GM is skimming Saab as much as they can? Don't believe it...:confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
cse_20 said:
My point was not to disable the DRL, but to get the Halogens working.
My 2000 wagon had a set of front lights that came on when reversing, as well as a set that stayed on with the indicators/turn signals. I bellieve (memory) wiring diagrams for the 2006 model show the indicators being wired to the headlight circuitry.

·
Registered
69 Posts
walmark said:
o_O never heard of this before... sounds a little shady to me...

backup headlights? When GM is skimming Saab as much as they can? Don't believe it...:confused:
Better go check. LOL:cheesy:

·
Registered
708 Posts
8AA2YM said:
My 2000 wagon had a set of front lights that came on when reversing, as well as a set that stayed on with the indicators/turn signals. I bellieve (memory) wiring diagrams for the 2006 model show the indicators being wired to the headlight circuitry.
You know right now I would even settle for a picture with those inner lights on.:cheesy:

·
Registered
740 Posts
OK, what are we talking about here?

"Backup headligthts" as in "work when main headlights break"

or

"Backup lights" as in "turn on when backing up <reversing>"?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guess it wasn't such a stupid question as i thought. Well i checked and didn't see any blown fuses, everything seems to be in working order. I tried to check if they turned on in any setting by flashing the brights slightly but no go. My lights are on regardless of where the knob is, they just raise slightly when set all the way clockwise. Flashing the brights only raises the xenons.
I'm thinking of turning them into something else. Maybe another set of fog lights haha, you know like the mustangs. But i think that would look wierd on the car. My friend said to turn them into intakes, but he's just crazy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I ment backup headlights as in "work when main headlights break"..
But I only heard, never saw it come on..
I thought it was a good feature.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts