SaabCentral Forums banner

Real feedback from Aero 2.8T owner

6K views 47 replies 10 participants last post by  Titansaab27 
#1 ·
Hi, i have seen a very beautifull Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T 2007 manual with about 40,000km (25K miles). The car is in perfect shape. Since my Viggen 2000 have about 240,000km (excellent shape !) think its the time for a new car. I have a few question and i really need the feedback from real owner.

What is the real fuel consumption (city, higway, miles per tank) ?
How is the performance with a stage 0 ?
How is the real reliability ?
What is the good and the bad about these car ?
How much horsepower is possible with the stock clutch ?

Actually, my Viggen run 14 flat and 102 mph on the 1/4 mile. What mod is needed on the Aero 2.8T to outperform my old Viggen ???

Thank for your help, i need fast answer since i probably will buy the car this week.

***Sorry for my bad english...);oops:

#2 ·
#3 ·
I own a 2007 9-3 Aero 6MT so if you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a PM. #1) The mileage is slightly worse than recorded online by car review sites, I'm slightly disappointed with my gas mileage although I couldn't tell you an exact number.

2) 320 HP-400ft/lb are pretty good numbers, from what I've heard, stg 0 is a beast. I'm getting a local tune in the next few weeks and I will let you know.
3) Reliability for me has been great, nothing to complain about other than squeaky interior.
4) Good: Style, ergonomics, power.
Bad: Squeaky/cheap interior.
5) Not too sure of the amount of power on stock clutch but stage 0 doesn't require a new one.

I've read that when the v6 came out it was the fastest Saab ever made so you should be able to match your Viggen performance. I prefer my '07 over the Viggen other than the interior of the Viggen, especially the quality of their seats.

#4 ·
Hi, i have seen a very beautifull Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T 2007 manual with about 40,000km (25K miles). The car is in perfect shape. Since my Viggen 2000 have about 240,000km (excellent shape !) think its the time for a new car. I have a few question and i really need the feedback from real owner.

What is the real fuel consumption (city, higway, miles per tank) ?
How is the performance with a stage 0 ?
How is the real reliability ?
What is the good and the bad about these car ?
How much horsepower is possible with the stock clutch ?

Actually, my Viggen run 14 flat and 102 mph on the 1/4 mile. What mod is needed on the Aero 2.8T to outperform my old Viggen ???

Thank for your help, i need fast answer since i probably will buy the car this week.

***Sorry for my bad english...);oops:
Another DSM QC member on Saabcentral ;ol;

#6 ·
(Mine is automatic)
If you drive a lot of highway, and/or keep your foot out of it, the mileage is OK for a car like this. Typically around town I've seen 17-18MPG (13-14L/100km) That being said, the highway mileage can be fantastic.

I am tuned on stage 0, and I have had no issues with it, but I can't comment on the clutch, because I don't have one per say. Up to 5000rpm it pulls very strong, but does not give you an immediate shove, the power comes on like a tidal wave. one member here ended up with a 13.9s 1/4 mile, and he was on stage 0 6mt. Keep in mind this car is quite heavy, especially compared to the Viggen, but it has more luxury (supposedly) and handles much MUCH better.

Hope this answers some of the questions...

#7 ·
Brownpower has his custom tune on my his car and did 103mph the first time at the track. I have his tune as well and my car pulls hard. So performance wise it would be about the same with a simple tune. The 2006 and 2007 have full factory bodykit which looks great. The best looking front end on any Saab IMO!

#11 ·
Why'd you buy it then lol? Either there's something wrong with the car or you still have a very soft spot for the Vig because stock vs stock there really isn't a difference. The stage 0 tune should get you to where you want to be. I've been beating stock g35 and gtis so i wouldn't call the v6 slow, it isn't a racecar, its a 4 door sedan.

#13 ·
I want to change the Viggen because it have 150K miles and 11 years old.
I have always like Saab, before the Viggen i have had a 9000 aero. The Aero V6 turbo is a very nice car and i really like the shape. The only thing i dont like is the very soft performance. Saabhutter, do you have a stage 0 or stock when you have beat the G35 ???

#25 ·
lets see, on the highway, I do a solid 27-28. Brian said with his stage 0 tune he has been seeing 33ish highway. I saw that once with a serious tailwind heading home through PA. Normally on my bone stock un-tuned '06 Aero I get 27-28, around town im happy to see 22mpg.

Reliability, well, mine is CPO till the end of this year, and the list of stuff repaired under warrantee is pretty much everything people complain about. The CIM most recently, ACC buttons, P/S resivour/pump, coolant level, oil level sensor in the pan, HID bulbs, rear hatch trim, random crap.

Yes, my interior squeeks lots too, annoying but I love the car!

My only wish is for memory seats!

#26 ·
I saw 35 on my way to San Diego (confirmed by my ultraguage too) my commutes to school saw me average 25ish, mostly Los Angeles highway (i.e. sometimes parking lot)

And I love your sig, its so true!

#27 ·
Thanks all !
I have buy the car this morning and i have put about 200 miles on it today.

The good for now...

The car is absolutly like new. Not a single scratch or stone chip :eek: Never run in the winter and have 28k miles (44K km). ALL is incredibly clean. 1 years of waranty left. I have seen that every one complaint about the squeky interior, but for now mine is exceptionaly tight, no plastic sound on bad road. The power is smooth but ok on the highway. The brake are really strong and the handling are superb. The fuel consomption seem to be really better that what i think before. Today, with mixing driving of about 200 miles + 1 high speed run to 230 km/h, my result is 11.5 liter / 100km.

The bad for now...

The power is to smooth, but not for long. Next week i will visit Brian at V-Tuner for a stage 0 or 2...+ i will make a full 3" exhaust on it.
I dont like the OEM wheel, i will put the black lightweight wheel of my Viggen on it.

For now, im very happy with my new Aero ;ol;

#28 ·
Thanks all !
I have buy the car this morning and i have put about 200 miles on it today.

The good for now...

The car is absolutly like new. Not a single scratch or stone chip :eek: Never run in the winter and have 28k miles (44K km). ALL is incredibly clean. 1 years of waranty left. I have seen that every one complaint about the squeky interior, but for now mine is exceptionaly tight, no plastic sound on bad road. The power is smooth but ok on the highway. The brake are really strong and the handling are superb. The fuel consomption seem to be really better that what i think before. Today, with mixing driving of about 200 miles + 1 high speed run to 230 km/h, my result is 11.5 liter / 100km.

The bad for now...

The power is to smooth, but not for long. Next week i will visit Brian at V-Tuner for a stage 0 or 2...+ i will make a full 3" exhaust on it.
I dont like the OEM wheel, i will put the black lightweight wheel of my Viggen on it.

For now, im very happy with my new Aero ;ol;
Pics or it never happened :lol:

#36 · (Edited)
After 1 week of owning my new Aero V6, here is my impression.

I am a bit disapointed about the caractere and handling of the car. The car dont feel planted on the road and handling is ok at best (the suspension are too soft and the steering is way over assisted for a euro car...) Tomorrow i will put the Kumo on the Aero and see if that can help.
What compagny make good parts for the Aero V6 ?

The power are also really mellow. Tonight i have made a drag race between my old Viggen and the Aero. No comparaison, the Viggen (JZW stage 1) absolutly destroy my Aero in a roll from 80 to 200. (about 10 car).
I have an appointment with Brain of V-Tuner friday and i cross my finger to have good result. The Aero MUST be faster than my old Viggen.

Also, the quality of the parts (seats, plastic) seem to have decreased with the years:(

For the good, the comfort are absolutly perfect. The audio system are very good (i have the Bose with 9 speakers). The fuel consumption are way better than what i have expected, particulary on the highway. The brake are good with no fade.

In short, i like the car, but it is really less sport oriented than what i have think. The good is i think that with only a few upgrade (Tune, sway bar, tire) the car will be more better. The only part that seem more difficult to upgrade are the over assisted direction.

Thanks

#43 ·
Ok, now i have the Vtuner stage 0 tune and :eek:

The difference is really impressive, like night and day.
Now the car is much more responsive and the power is stronger everywere with a nice top end (before the car have no top end).

Thank you very much Brian, me and my brother are very happy with our tunes. ;ol;

#44 ·
Let us know how your new vtuned aero compares to your viggen, and for the hell of it see how your brothers vtuned 2.0T compares?? :) lmao

I ask about the 2.0T because thats what i have and am contemplating a jzw stage 1 tune or a stage 0 vtune.

Can anyone say 3 car drag race? ;ol;

#45 ·
The Aero is a little faster than the Viggen but not by much. (.3 on the quarter and 2 mph) but that on the 91 octane tune. The Aero is also more consistent.
The Viggen is faster than the 2.0T, no question about that.

I think you cant compare the Viggen to the 2.0T stock for stock, so tuned at the same level, the Viggen will be faster. The B235R in the Viggen is more brutal, not as smooth.

For me, the 2 tuner have made an EXCELLENT job. My Viggen have always run strong with the JZW tune and my Aero seem to be awsome with the V-Tuner. The only think i prefer with the V-Tuner is the possibility of upgrade because of the HP Tuner software but this is not applicable for the 2.0T, only the V6.

#46 ·
Yea i understand what your saying.

But let me ask you your opinion on this.

If your Aero was still stock, and you were to race your brothers Vtuned 2.0T, who would win?

I know that a Vtuned 2.0T is rated at 10 more horsepower then a Stock Aero V6.

I ask this because my friend has a stock V6 Aero, and i want to know if i can beat him in a race or at least be pretty damn close if i were vtuned. ;ol;

#47 ·
Yea i understand what your saying.

But let me ask you your opinion on this.

If your Aero was still stock, and you were to race your brothers Vtuned 2.0T, who would win?

I know that a Vtuned 2.0T is rated at 10 more horsepower then a Stock Aero V6.

I ask this because my friend has a stock V6 Aero, and i want to know if i can beat him in a race or at least be pretty damn close if i were vtuned. ;ol;

I think the tuned 2.0T would win. (very close)
Stock, the V6 feel very mellow and the V-Tuned 4 cyl is impressive for just a flashing ecu.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.