SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have seen a very beautifull Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T 2007 manual with about 40,000km (25K miles). The car is in perfect shape. Since my Viggen 2000 have about 240,000km (excellent shape !) think its the time for a new car. I have a few question and i really need the feedback from real owner.

What is the real fuel consumption (city, higway, miles per tank) ?
How is the performance with a stage 0 ?
How is the real reliability ?
What is the good and the bad about these car ?
How much horsepower is possible with the stock clutch ?

Actually, my Viggen run 14 flat and 102 mph on the 1/4 mile. What mod is needed on the Aero 2.8T to outperform my old Viggen ???

Thank for your help, i need fast answer since i probably will buy the car this week.

***Sorry for my bad english...);oops:

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Hi, i have seen a very beautifull Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T 2007 manual with about 40,000km (25K miles). The car is in perfect shape. Since my Viggen 2000 have about 240,000km (excellent shape !) think its the time for a new car. I have a few question and i really need the feedback from real owner.

Actually, my Viggen run 14 flat and 102 mph on the 1/4 mile. What mod is needed on the Aero 2.8T to outperform my old Viggen ???

Thank for your help, i need fast answer since i probably will buy the car this week.

Questions 1, 3, and 4 if posted here http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30 will probably get you a faster answer. The other questions are modification questions should be answered here. By the way, check out www.vtunersaabs.com, seems to be the highest power gain for the least money. Great customer service and real results.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts

I own a 2007 9-3 Aero 6MT so if you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a PM. #1) The mileage is slightly worse than recorded online by car review sites, I'm slightly disappointed with my gas mileage although I couldn't tell you an exact number.

2) 320 HP-400ft/lb are pretty good numbers, from what I've heard, stg 0 is a beast. I'm getting a local tune in the next few weeks and I will let you know.
3) Reliability for me has been great, nothing to complain about other than squeaky interior.
4) Good: Style, ergonomics, power.
Bad: Squeaky/cheap interior.
5) Not too sure of the amount of power on stock clutch but stage 0 doesn't require a new one.

I've read that when the v6 came out it was the fastest Saab ever made so you should be able to match your Viggen performance. I prefer my '07 over the Viggen other than the interior of the Viggen, especially the quality of their seats.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Another DSM QC member on Saabcentral ;ol;

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

(Mine is automatic)
If you drive a lot of highway, and/or keep your foot out of it, the mileage is OK for a car like this. Typically around town I've seen 17-18MPG (13-14L/100km) That being said, the highway mileage can be fantastic.

I am tuned on stage 0, and I have had no issues with it, but I can't comment on the clutch, because I don't have one per say. Up to 5000rpm it pulls very strong, but does not give you an immediate shove, the power comes on like a tidal wave. one member here ended up with a 13.9s 1/4 mile, and he was on stage 0 6mt. Keep in mind this car is quite heavy, especially compared to the Viggen, but it has more luxury (supposedly) and handles much MUCH better.

Hope this answers some of the questions...

·
Banned
590 Posts
Brownpower has his custom tune on my his car and did 103mph the first time at the track. I have his tune as well and my car pulls hard. So performance wise it would be about the same with a simple tune. The 2006 and 2007 have full factory bodykit which looks great. The best looking front end on any Saab IMO!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a depot on it this morning:lol:
But... stock, this car is REALLY SLOW, im very desapointed with the power, i cant believe how the V6 is outperformed by the 2.3 liter of my Viggen. No comparaison ...

Is the stage 0 a REAL upgrade ?

·
Banned
590 Posts
I put a depot on it this morning:lol:
But... stock, this car is REALLY SLOW, im very desapointed with the power, i cant believe how the V6 is outperformed by the 2.3 liter of my Viggen. No comparaison ...

Is the stage 0 a REAL upgrade ?
Take the time to read the forum and search threads. A stage 0 is getting higher traps than your Viggen.;ol;

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take the time to read the forum and search threads. A stage 0 is getting higher traps than your Viggen.;ol;

All i have seen vary between 100 and 103 mph for a stage 0 V6 T... Nothing very spectacular... My old Viggen with a tune trap @ 102.8 mph with 150,000K miles and a tranny that need a very slow shift... For a V6 Turbo, that seem very slow... Where is the bottle neck with the V6 to open the real potential ???

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Why'd you buy it then lol? Either there's something wrong with the car or you still have a very soft spot for the Vig because stock vs stock there really isn't a difference. The stage 0 tune should get you to where you want to be. I've been beating stock g35 and gtis so i wouldn't call the v6 slow, it isn't a racecar, its a 4 door sedan.

·
Banned
590 Posts
All i have seen vary between 100 and 103 mph for a stage 0 V6 T... Nothing very spectacular... My old Viggen with a tune trap @ 102.8 mph with 150,000K miles and a tranny that need a very slow shift... For a V6 Turbo, that seem very slow... Where is the bottle neck with the V6 to open the real potential ???
Money! You want a fast 6cyl Turbo get a 911, 335, etc.. For the cost of the car and the simiple tune what do you expect? The more you $pend the faster it gets! These cars are lousy off the line so if you want a drag car go with a 135 and tune. If you want bang for the buck in sedan or wagon form there isn't much out there that compares in price/performance. The simple tune is #1, then bigger turbo, ic, dp, exhaust, retune etc etc etc. The Viggen (a real one which is supposed to be a 2 door) is much lighter. Why not find another Viggen in North America or another model of car all together that you can get a 2007 for 14-15K that can give you 103traps in sedan/wagon form has some decent styling and comfort with a simple tune only? Look at the 9-3 Aero 2006-2007 prices and it looks great with the factory bodykit. If not get a Neon srt4 or spend more money...

Also there is always a "reason" or "excuse" about why car didn't do as well as it should or go beat by another car. If your absolute best trap is 102.8 thats great but still no where near a fast car...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why'd you buy it then lol? Either there's something wrong with the car or you still have a very soft spot for the Vig because stock vs stock there really isn't a difference. The stage 0 tune should get you to where you want to be. I've been beating stock g35 and gtis so i wouldn't call the v6 slow, it isn't a racecar, its a 4 door sedan.
I want to change the Viggen because it have 150K miles and 11 years old.
I have always like Saab, before the Viggen i have had a 9000 aero. The Aero V6 turbo is a very nice car and i really like the shape. The only thing i dont like is the very soft performance. Saabhutter, do you have a stage 0 or stock when you have beat the G35 ???

·
Banned
590 Posts
ya I ran a x5 4.8 twice yesterday and there is no way I am getting him off the line 2nd gear is catch up and 3rd I pull away. These cars are really for the hwy. 1st gear is useless and really hard on the car, tires, clutch (depends how you launch) etc.. Not worth the abuse on the car in 1st gear especially when you are running a 94 octane tune. Out on the hwy and passing etc is where the real fun is on this car which is why I have it.

·
Banned
590 Posts
I have always like Saab, before the Viggen i have had a 9000 aero. The Aero V6 turbo is a very nice car and i really like the shape. The only thing i dont like is the very soft performance. Saabhutter, do you have a stage 0 or stock when you have beat the G35 ???
I ran a G37 with my first tune and it was toe to toe to 250km whomever got the slight jump kept it but that was on 91 and not the perfect tune. I now have a have a 94 tune (from brownpower) and more optimized now I think I should pull on G37 3rdgear+ now. I would spank a G35

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I really think you're confusing power with smoothness. Stock vs stock the Aero is faster every time. Now, from the numbers you're posting, your Viggen is about as quick as a Stage 0 Vtune. I know that every time I detune, the car feels very slow so I imagine you have a bit of bias in that sense. A tune will get you to where you were at, downpipe, FMIC, and if you can stomach it, a Stage 1 or 2 tune (bigger compressor, clipped turbine, bigger injectors) you will be taking on other tuned cars. (Some members here are keeping up with e92 M3s and such).

If you're expecting a hard shove in the back every time you stab the gas, walk away now (or highly tune a 4cyl) because these cars are built for smoothness with the stock turbo.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I ran a G37 with my first tune and it was toe to toe to 250km whomever got the slight jump kept it but that was on 91 and not the perfect tune. I now have a have a 94 tune (from brownpower) and more optimized now I think I should pull on G37 3rdgear+ now. I would spank a G35
My buddy keeps telling me his G37 is faster but we haven't had a chance to prove it one way or another. He did slightly reconsider when I launched up a highway onramp though :cheesy:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Money! You want a fast 6cyl Turbo get a 911, 335, etc.. For the cost of the car and the simiple tune what do you expect? The more you $pend the faster it gets! These cars are lousy off the line so if you want a drag car go with a 135 and tune. If you want bang for the buck in sedan or wagon form there isn't much out there that compares in price/performance. The simple tune is #1, then bigger turbo, ic, dp, exhaust, retune etc etc etc. The Viggen (a real one which is supposed to be a 2 door) is much lighter. Why not find another Viggen in North America or another model of car all together that you can get a 2007 for 14-15K that can give you 103traps in sedan/wagon form has some decent styling and comfort with a simple tune only? Look at the 9-3 Aero 2006-2007 prices and it looks great with the factory bodykit. If not get a Neon srt4 or spend more money...

Also there is always a "reason" or "excuse" about why car didn't do as well as it should or go beat by another car. If your absolute best trap is 102.8 thats great but still no where near a fast car...
Before i have had many car that trap 115+ mph and 2 that trap over 125 mph. The Saab will be a daily driver for the work. I dont understand how a car with 320 hp and 400+ lb of torque only trap 102-103 mph. With those power level and 1500kg the car is supposed to do around 107-108.
I have had turbo car for the last 15 years and always play with the boost.
May old 9000 do 112 mph on the 1/4 with minimal $$$. In my head, a modern motor with 2.8 liter of deplacement and a turbo CAN be very fast with minimal mod and stress...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Before i have had many car that trap 115+ mph and 2 that trap over 125 mph. The Saab will be a daily driver for the work. I dont understand how a car with 320 hp and 400+ lb of torque only trap 102-103 mph. With those power level and 1500kg the car is supposed to do around 107-108.
I have had turbo car for the last 15 years and always play with the boost.
May old 9000 do 112 mph on the 1/4 with minimal $$$. In my head, a modern motor with 2.8 liter of deplacement and a turbo CAN be very fast with minimal mod and stress...
I will guarantee you that no stock V6 Aero weighs 1500kg. My sedan weighs 1700kg without me in it. The problem with this car and "slow" trap speeds is that the turbo runs out of breath at <5000 rpm, so your usable torque band is something like 2500-4500rpm. Almost like a diesel. Change the turbo, and the injectors to match, and you'll have no problems for lack of speed.

It doesn't help either that most of the cars you compare it to weigh 250kg less...

edit: I forgot to mention, since you're going to be using this car as a daily, all the manufactured tunes (bsr, maptun, Vtune) keep the car very livable on the street, you have power from low rpm, and the power curves typically look like a larger version of stock, so it's still smooth. I get good fuel economy too (when I'm not flooring it all the time)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all for your reply.
If nothing change, i will have the car tomorrow.
Next week i will go to Vermont (V-Tuner) and put a stage 0 on it.
If this is not enough, i will make a full exhaust and 19T conversion.

Thanks again for your input

1 - 20 of 48 Posts