SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to read the OBD 2 readiness monitors with a tech 2 ?

I have to smog my 2000 Aero in CA and I would just like to check it first.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
I don't know the answer to that, however just about any ODB II reader will show the status of the different monitors. So I would take it to one of the shops that read it for free and ask.

If there hasn't been a trouble code, and the battery hasn't been disconnected recently (maybe a week or two), you should be OK. It does take a long time, if just using the car normally, for the CAT monitor to complete.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know the answer to that, however just about any ODB II reader will show the status of the different monitors. So I would take it to one of the shops that read it for free and ask.

If there hasn't been a trouble code, and the battery hasn't been disconnected recently (maybe a week or two), you should be OK. It does take a long time, if just using the car normally, for the CAT monitor to complete.
THANKS. I do have a Tech 2 as you stated and open SID.

So I am just wondering if it can read the specific readiness.

I have a Durametic piece of software for my Boxster and It has a specific readiness menu that tells you whether it passes or fails.

I think I am ok with smogging my 2000 Aero as I have no CELs and I drive it regularly.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
With TECH2, use live monitor and select O2 and you have vector diagram.
With OpenSID, you have to write manually all readings.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With TECH2, use live monitor and select O2 and you have vector diagram.
With OpenSID, you have to write manually all readings.
and how do I know what the passing readings are? or am I missing somethiing here?

The California smog check station says PASS FAIL and not readings. They do not even run the engine, just plug into the OBD2

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Honestly, if you can't figure it out on the Tech II, go to any parts store that does code reading and see what they say. As far as I can tell, monitor readiness status is down at the most basic level of functionality of ODB-II readers.

But, like I said, if you haven't had any Check Engine lights for a while, and the battery has remained connected, you should be fine. A couple of months with no light or battery/ECU disconnect should be a slam dunk.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly, if you can't figure it out on the Tech II, go to any parts store that does code reading and see what they say. As far as I can tell, monitor readiness status is down at the most basic level of functionality of ODB-II readers.

But, like I said, if you haven't had any Check Engine lights for a while, and the battery has remained connected, you should be fine. A couple of months with no light or battery/ECU disconnect should be a slam dunk.
I must have the wrong OBD 2 readers I have never seen monitor readiness in the ones I own.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
I must have the wrong OBD 2 readers I have never seen monitor readiness in the ones I own.
Huh.

I bought a pretty good reader (Innova 3040 more or less) back in 2011 when I got my 900. It sums up monitor readiness via LEDs and also displays which ones are still pending.

The cheapest Innova sold by autozone has monitor status, though I don't know if it tells you which ones might be pending: https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/code-reader/innova-obd2-tool-with-emission-readiness-monitors/273349_0_0

I'm sure that someone with better online shopping knowledge could find cheaper knockoffs with this technology.

ODB II readers remain some amazingly overpriced electronics considering their commodity nature. They should be like $20 instead of $200 for a pretty good set of features. It's not like the ODB II standard keeps getting updated by Apple or anything. :p

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
I couldn't find any place in Tech II where readiness monitors are found. I assume my car is 100% ready....but my ODB II reader is elsewhere at the moment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts