SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That´s very much what i´m looking for. Double din if possible. An 8" touch screen would probably fit in the 9-5, it would be fiddlie, maybe would need some sanding, but it would certainly retain a very original look...
When i search for touch screen ready-made systems for the 9-5 I only find 7" touch screens at the best...
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
57 Posts
oviedo - I'm intrigued as to why you have started a brand new thread with the exact same question you've been asking in an earlier thread ("retrofitted SatNav, finally working....")

Maybe you feel that if you ask the same question often enough you'll eventually get the answer you're wishing for .....??!:confused:

as I've said previously, the 'ready-made', fixed in-dash touchscreen audio systems, incorporating SatNav facility, provide a maximum screen size of 7" - and often less. There is a simple reason for this : they are designed to fit comfortably into the standard double-din space, in as many car models as possible, without the need for any 'surgery' (cutting/sanding)

however, if (for whatever reason) you are determined to have a slightly larger 8" screen, then you must be willing to go down the route of a custom design & install, as per examples seen in the other thread

there is certainly a great choice of ready-made systems on crutchfield.com (note, these are specced for the US market) but I'm puzzled by vagrantradio's comment as I couldn't find any at all with 8" screen..... Can you clarify...?:confused:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks lags72 and vagrantradio. Well one friend of mine is coming from the US this month soon and he´ll pick the needed stuff to bring it here as all electronics are cheaper there than in all of western europe....
So basically in a real need to get faster input from more people i started a new thread to be sure. ;oops::suprised;
p.s: they should really make the same system but just with different screen sizes and integrated bezels/frames so that you can choose and cut them as needed...
I´ve only seen some 8" ready-made systems for some models (buick enclave etc) and then there´s these
http://cgi.ebay.com/EONON-E1022-102...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414e173edf

that would fit with some sanding, but i don´t trust cheap chinese stuff very much...
Probably I´ll have to go custom, i just really like that very clean look. I hope I´ll be able to fix it....

·
Registered
57 Posts
oviedo, please be aware that US imports may not function fully here in western Europe, as regards both radio reception (not tuned for European stations) and Navigation (equipped with US mapping only). I can understand your wish to save money - we all want to do the same .....! - but you could very likely find that it turns out to be a false economy. I've read reports of other owners being disappointed in this way :(

the ebay model in your thread simply won't fit your Saab. But, even if it did, it does not include any GPS/navigation facility and the radio may not function properly in Europe. Plus, it's a suspiciously low price, as you say yourself ......

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oviedo, please be aware that US imports may not function fully here in western Europe, as regards both radio reception (not tuned for European stations) and Navigation (equipped with US mapping only). I can understand your wish to save money - we all want to do the same .....! - but you could very likely find that it turns out to be a false economy. I've read reports of other owners being disappointed in this way :(
That´s very interesting.
I only know one member from the Saab Club of Spain that brought a JVC 820 from N.York and saved quite much money.
Apparently they had different coding for radio stations, but it turned to work here too. By the way lags72, do you have Sat. radio and if so, get radio stations from the other side of the atlantic?
It would be great to see more reviews in this point too.
As for navigation, most systems come with both US/Canada and W. Europe mapping.

·
Registered
423 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
oviedo - I've only ever accessed UK-based radio stations (which provide more than enough choice - for me anyway.....:)) I would however like a DAB-equipped radio, a clearer-sounding system which is gradually becoming more common here in UK

I know that Kenwood systems supplied here in UK are designed for use in UK only, so I'd be surprised if they could receive anything other than UK stations and also some European stations whilst the car was being driven in Europe

as for mapping, well I'm very surprised by what you say about US/Canada and W.Europe. Very rarely would vehicles bought in North America ever be used in Europe and vice-versa. So this is reflected in the map software loaded by the manufacturer in respective sales markets. If you examine the specifications for 'premium brand' SatNav systems (Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine) you will find that they offer only European mapping on models sold here in Europe, and I would imagine the reverse applies over in USA

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the answer vangrantradio. So i´ll look if there are some 7" that fit with some surgery (sanding, not adding a frame which won´t look factory...) :roll:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This was my conversation in crutchfield chat, so NO 8" in dash units

Jodi.
Hi, my name is Jodi. How may I help you today?
Aldo
I´m looking for a 8" touch screen ready-made system for my car. Do you have something like this available?
Jodi.
Are you looking for an in dash unit?
Aldo
dimensions would have to be between :195-205 mm width and 120-135mm height to fit in my car.
Yes
Jodi.
What's the year, make, and model of your vehicle?
Aldo
2002 Saab 9-5
Jodi.
I'm sorry, you'll lose the factory warning chime if you replace the factory radio. We don't recommend replacing the factory radio.
Jodi.
I don't have any that I can suggest at this time.
Aldo
Well, i don´t mind losing that. Ok. So the maximum screen size of an in dash unit is 7"?
Jodi.
I'm sorry, I have no info on what will work in the car. But yes, 7" is the largest screen for the dash.
Aldo
And can you cheack if there are any 7" touch screen system that is more than 195mm of width and 120 of height? thank you
Aldo
Making the unit work in my car is not such a problem, i can do that.
Jodi.
I'm sorry, I don't have any info on what will work in that car. You may need to check with a local installer to see if they have an option for you.
Aldo
Could you just let me know if some of the 7" common brand units like those of Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC etc fall into those dimensions? thank you
Jodi.
The standard size of a Double DIN radio is 7" wide by 4" tall, Depth will vary.
Jodi.
Each unit will vary just slightly on that exact measurement, but that is the general size.
Aldo
Ok, so i would need one that is almost 8" wide and 5" tall.
Jodi.
Then you will need to get a installer to make you a custom dash kit.
Aldo
So there are no ready-made units with that measurements? ok thanks for the help
Jodi.
Not that we have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts