SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this 9-3, and went to check the oil level the other day. All oil dipsticks that I have seen on previous cars I owned were of a silver color. I pulled it out, wiped it off, put it back in, pulled it out, and checked the oil level. Well the dipstick on this car seems to have two squared off markers at the bottom of the dipstick, about an inch apart, but the problem is the whole thing is black! I am having a very tough time even telling where the oil level is. Is there some trick to this, or am I just blind and possibly even retarded. ;oops:

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
304 Posts
DougR said:
I just got this 9-3, and went to check the oil level the other day. All oil dipsticks that I have seen on previous cars I owned were of a silver color. I pulled it out, wiped it off, put it back in, pulled it out, and checked the oil level. Well the dipstick on this car seems to have two squared off markers at the bottom of the dipstick, about an inch apart, but the problem is the whole thing is black! I am having a very tough time even telling where the oil level is. Is there some trick to this, or am I just blind and possibly even retarded. ;oops:
It is a poorly designed dipstick. I always check my oil in the full light of the day because my garage light is not bright enough. I guess I am going to have to get a better light fixture in my gararge. I wish Saab had an internal light under the hood.

Ta-ta, janusz

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Is there some trick to this...
No trick, just hard to see, good light helps. I actually had an older guy who saw I was driving the same car ask me to look at his at a gas station because he could not see it and his oil light came on at night on the hwy... case of blind leading the aged... I wear bifocals and had to use a flashlight.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Indeed it is poorly designed; Saab/GM must relegate their worst engineer to this design task.

How does "I was a dipstick designer at Saab " appear on one's resume ??

I was thinking of drilling a small hole in that end piece to trap some oil or painting it white ...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, im glad im not the only one. I think part of the problem is I have been checking it in the evening when I get home from work. I will take a look at it during the day tomorrow, or else use a flashlight. What a crazy thing. For all the things SAAB thinks of, this is a major one to miss.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
avixcore said:
I AM!!! With condensation plus blown headgasket, it's very easy to read ;)
...well that explains it, doesn't it! Someone was thinking ahead... if the oil level becomes too easy to read, replace headgasket. :cheesy:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oil Dipstick

Special Saab Oil? I am just using synthetic in mine.

Speaking of which, someone I work with says that buy running the gas I use (Sunoco 94 Octane) I may actually be damaging my O2 sensor. Has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
There is a Saab turbo oil but the guys in the thread were just joking. As for 94 octane, you're fine. These cars do better on higher octane b/c they can control timing and boost better than many cars.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you were talking to me, I know they were just joking :p ...they are, aren't they:cheesy:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oil Dipstick

Well, us Canadians assume everything we are told is the gospel truth :cheesy: . That is why I am a Junior Member!

·
Registered
867 Posts
If you take a file and rough up one of the sides of the black plastic attachment it will be easier to read the oil level. The oil will fill in the grooves so you just look for the point where it goes from smooth to rough to determine the level.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I should have known that it would take a man from Pennsylvania to figure out a good solution...

Better than the little holes, even ?? The plastic end piece has four sides

Side 1 : paint white
2 : use a rough vixen file
3 : drill #40 holes
4 : drill # 50 holes , different elevation
Lets hope the stick survives all this...And we shall see which works the best..

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Lets hope the stick survives all this...And we shall see which works the best
If it doesn't, maybe that's not a bad thing? If the metal goes all the way to the end of the plastic, then perhaps breaking the plastic off would just give us a normal dipstick?

There is one hitch. They probably didn't build that weird 4 sided plastic thing for no reason. Perhaps it's necessary to avoid bending the wire part as it twists its way down that long tube. I vote definitely that earthworm should be our guinnea pig.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts