SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my 900 had the TEVES II abs system. The abs light is on all the time and the fluid light flashes if I hit the brakes fast, but I can keep it off if I go easy. I thought it was likely the accumulator, but brake pressure is good and I don’t think the pump is continually running like it is trying to build pressure in the accumulator. If I turn the key to the on but not run position, and hit the brake pedal I get a momentary whir but it goes off even if I keep my foot on the brake. Not sure if I should be looking at a new accumulator, or looking at something else like a loose connection or a wheel sensor. Any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I saw that the pump was going on, so I went ahead and got a new accumulator. I have seen references to having to replace the metering valve from the old accumulator onto the new one, but I can't find any photos online, so I am not sure what I am looking for when I remove the old part. I did not get the Delco one, but one that should be SAAB specific from SPEED Manufacturing. It is listed as:
Brake
Accumulator
for Lincoln
Mark VII,
T-Bird
Supercoupe,
Mercury
Cougar, SAAB,
and Jaguar
Teves
Hydraulic
Brake Booster

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I decided to replace it because the pump is running when I hit the brakes, and all of the symptoms are there. I still thought the pump would run longer than it does, but after looking at it again, doing more reading, and reading that pulling codes can be hard without the proper equipment (according to the bentley manual), though I did find this, and will llook into it, accumulator aside http://townsendimports.com/Web/brake_folder/900abscodessbpg1.htmI. I decided it was worth while since they all go eventually. Since Accumulators are getting hard to find at a reasonable price now that the Delco version is discontinued, it made sense to get one while while I can still find them and not pay 400 dollars. I might start accumulating other harder to find parts as well, just in case....though I see your concern, I don't want to waste money on parts I don't need.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Man, be cautious with no-name Chinese parts. I'm not saying it's a for-sure problem, but, really, be careful. You're not only talking about the things that stop your car but also a thing that stores a **** ton of pressure. A failure there wouldn't be great. In my (and I think many peoples') experience, old used OE parts are better than brand-new no-name parts. Diagnosing problems is an awful lot easier when you can trust the components!

·
Registered
12,608 Posts
The Factory Manual will tell you how to retrieve flashing light codes from ABS with a piece of wire to jump the test socket. You can check wheel sensors and pressure switches with a voltmeter.
The Bentley manual will mislead you with partial generalized information.
If you want to educate yourself, read the real manual, it's even cheaper than a generic manual...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Factory Manual will tell you how to retrieve flashing light codes from ABS with a piece of wire to jump the test socket. You can check wheel sensors and pressure switches with a voltmeter.
The Bentley manual will mislead you with partial generalized information.
If you want to educate yourself, read the real manual, it's even cheaper than a generic manual...
Thanks for the tip, Jim. I will check out the guide on SAAB Central.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts