SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my heater core went out 5 years ago the guy who bypassed it cut the bottom hose which is the hose that has 3 ends on it. It goes to the throttlebody the heater valve and the block. I am so mad that the guy cut the hose cause it is going to be such a pain to the new one in. it goes under the intake manifold and under the throttlebody. Not one of the fun jobs. Also found that my alternator mount bushings are shot. anyone done those?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know about that hose...ordered a replacement and installed it. After running a bit, noticed I was loosing coolant. I found a weeping leak in the new hose where it branches off. I haven't replaced it. Just to let you know that new hoses leak too.

As for the alternator mount bushings. I have replaced them and am replacing a set right now. I order the urethane type from Eeroparts.com. Might as well change out the alternator arm bushing with a urethane to.

You'll have to pull the alternator to change the mount bushings. Hopefully you don't have an A/C pump in your way. Remove that and get it out of the way. The most difficult part is getting at the two hex head bolts that hold the alternator base to the engine block. There is a third bolt that holds a leg of the A/C mount (if A/C still there) that must be remove.

Make sure you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. Don't want sparks to fly. Also, change the two belts and power steering belts while you are at it. Very reasonable at Eeuroparts.

If your alternatory mount bushings are bad, the alternator will **** to one side and cause one of your belts to loosen and smoke. You'll see the residue of black belt dust on the water pump. If you don't do it all you'll be constantly plagued by components wearing out. Just my experience.
Pete

·
Registered
491 Posts
I didnt have to remove the third bolt on the A/C bracket. I started to then realized some how that it was completely pointless. ALthough it does help to move the A/C comp out of the way for sure.
good luck!
-Alex

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered the regular bushings not the urethane ones. didnt think it was worth the extra charge. But I did have them in my basket for quite some time. Then Realized that the original ones lasted 20 years... Sounds like quite a job replacing the bushings. Im assuming I need to take the belts off to get everything off. My bentley should be coming in a day or so too. Hope it helps. My friend who is a great mechanic said wow good luck. lol But when its your car its either do it or take it in. And I want to do it myself. any special tools needed to do the bushings? special length...before attempting

thanks for the replys

david

·
4,637 Posts
It's all easy enough. The bushings just slide in. Undo two of the three alternator bracket mounting bolts and rotate the bracket to get the alternator pivot bolt out.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
There's no need to remove the A/C compressor.
There might be if the alternator was going to be replaced at the same time as renewing the bushes. I need to do both things with my 89 16V car. The alternator bearings squeak and grumble for about half an hour after starting the car (I guess when everything heats up the bearings must start to work better?), and the bushes need renewing too so I'm thinking of sourcing a remanufactured 80A alternator and replacing it along with the bushes.

The car has A/C fitted otherwise it'd be a cinch since there would be plenty of access.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I assume worn mount bushings is the reason my alternator appears loose when the mount pivot bolt is really tight. BUT, the tensioner arm mount in on the block is also wobbly even though tight. Please tell me what I need to do here, I am new to this car, 92 900s vert, had it 1 week 90000 kilometers. The agents 600km away had no suggestion as to why the alternator was loose with the bolts tight.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is what you need are new bushings from here http://www.eeuroparts.com/searchresults.aspx?&carid=1033&cat=1010scroll down to alternator bushings or if the page doesnt load up right. select your car, year, and at the bottom of make is 900s then go to category, engine electrical then scroll down to alternator bushings. I just ordered them and havent put them in yet. looks like a pain to do

·
Registered
13,117 Posts
davidlytle said:
...looks like a pain to do
Disconnect battery
Undo heater hoses from the firewall and tie them out of the way
Remove coolant reservoir bolt and tie it back out of the way
Remove oil filter, alternator wires, tensioning bolt
Remove the 3 bolts that hold the alternator bracket to the block
Remove bracket and alternator as a unit
Remove tensioner bracket to replace its bushings too

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Thank you Jim

I was about to ask how you get the pivot bolt out, obviously you don't, till you get the bracket off!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply. I just put the $#%%$ hoses on the valve. I guess I will take them off again. I need the bushings changed the alternator is on an angle. Cant be good. Thanks a lot for the help. I am trying to get a bentley but everyplace is out of stock, even bentley. found a couple on craigslist but far away and they wont ship. So thanks a lot for the walkthrough:D

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Remove the 3 bolts that hold the alternator bracket to the block

removed the top two but cant get to the bottom one. the alternator is in the way and cant get anything in there. I cant believe SAAB would put the bottom alternator mount bolt in the way they did. when you try to pull it out the head hits the damn firewall! its so close to comming out too. its like an 1" too long. if they would have put it in the other way the nut would be on the back and the bold would just slide right out. Any suggestions how to get to the bottom torx screw that holds the bracket???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts