SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi- just joined and also have just become a SAAB-a-holic.

The a/c has been running fine although not very cold. When in auto systems all seem too work fine, the coldest setting turns on the recirc. and fan high etc.

Stopped down to my NAPA guy and asked about the need to re-charge the a/c.

We found the correct nipple, down in front by the right headlight. Checked pressure and it was low.

He had me start the car and put the a/c on max and he put in the can of "stuff".

Now the a/c unit seems to be cycling witha large amount of vibration, and not much more cooling than before the re-charge.

Also seems to be an electronic noise in the cabin that corresponds to the recirculate Icon on the display.

Has it been overcharged?? What do I do now?

Thanks for the help!:confused:

I just checked the pressure with the re-charge gauge, outside air temp is set correctly, and when a/c is on I can see the pressure going up and down with the compressor, the compressor seems to be cycling every 2 seconds with the pressure showing a low of 40 and a high of 60-70.

Is the constant cycling "normal" or has pandora's box been opened???

Another thing since this re-charge was completed, the engine light and the transmission light have both come on! This happened while idling in the driveway. OH BOY......

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know the 9-5 ac's pretty well. My first thought is that it's overcharged because 60-70 is too high for the low pressure side. Should be more like 30-50 and you may be cycling the compressor because it is reaching too high of pressures. Really, adding Freon without any testing or measuring is a problem.

On my 9-5, I found that the recirculation motor linkage arm was broken. But there could be other issues with the system. When the ignition is on, you can press Off and Auto on the AC control and hold them for a few seconds and it will runs some diagnostic tests. When it is done, it may have numbers on the left and right side of the display. Report back with those.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The system is most likely over filled. I was told measuring the pressure is not accurate for this car. Take the car to a shop and tell them to vacuum the freon out and refill to the amount listed on the sticker under the hood. For my 2000 aero it was filled to 875g.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Too much freon will cause cooling in the engine bay but not the interior. An evac and recharge is the best maintenance because the water is boiled off in the vacuum. And, you get fresh oil in the system

1 - 4 of 4 Posts