SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Can anybody advise on where or what the solution is to eradicating the noise coming from the heating system, when the a/c is on or off, Saab says its the Rearc motor. This has got progressively worst

SAAB is looking to charge a bundle. ;oops:

Any suggextion on a good independent please in the london area preferable East or North.

Any advise?

Thanks in advance:cheesy:

·
Super Moderator
20,436 Posts
Likely the blower motor. It has a tendency to rust. You can try and lube it yourself or replace it. You can have a look at it if you access your cabin filter. It sits right behind it and is easily viewable. Access is through the glovebox though to remove.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Diggs, I changed the Blower motor a bout 3 months ago,

I forgot to mention before that It was mading a continoeus CLICKING noise, Now the noise has gotten worst and its all gravlling contineous noise till you switch it off.

SAAB only said its the re-arc motor when I took the clicking noise to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, you might be right, like I said earlier its got something to do with the heater and thape ac.

What solution have you got if its the re-circ?

Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
@toks, no idea what they are talking about...there is not a "re-circ" fan, or re-arc, that I know of (could always be wrong). Sounds like the climate control blower went bad, again...does it only make the sound when the climate control is on? Kill the climate control while the engine is running, does the sound persist, or stop? If it stops, the blower is bad.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thanks Diggs, I changed the Blower motor a bout 3 months ago,

I forgot to mention before that It was madison a continuous CLICKING noise, Now the noise has gotten worst and its all gravelling continuous noise till you switch it off.

SAAB only said its the re-arc motor when I took the clicking noise to them.
That clicking noise is definitely the recirculation stepper motor. I had the same problem a few months ago, changed the recirculation stepper motor and everything is fine now ( recirculation stepper motor failure is quite a common problem on our cars i believe ).:(

·
Registered
232 Posts
As in the Exhaust Gas Recirculation motor? Don't these throw a fault code and activate the CEL? Or, only if they have completely failed.

·
Registered
675 Posts
As in the Exhaust Gas Recirculation motor? Don't these throw a fault code and activate the CEL? Or, only if they have completely failed.
I can't speak for the exhaust gas recirculation motor but the air recirculation motor in heater air con system doesn't activate the CEL ( well mine didn't anyway ) you just get that irritating clicking noise.
The clicking noise is the cog wheel slipping on the toothed ratchet.:(

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's only 6 am here, and I just poured my first cup of coffee...I'll be up to speed in a minute after a warm up! ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tnkr1111 and Tonyav,

Thanks guys, It seem like SAAB are right. Although they never carried out a complete diagnosis on the car, they were able to confirm the it was the re-arc.

To answer your question 111 when you switch off the climate completely the noise stops.

To those that have suggested changing it you know anyone that can do it chepear than Saab? ...

And yes Its 11.46 here
sound when the climate control is on? Kill the climate control while the engine is running, does the sound persist, or stop? If it stops, the blower is bad. Today 12:48 AM

·
Registered
232 Posts
To those that have suggested changing it you know anyone that can do it chepear than Saab?
You.

And to be clear, and much thanks to tony for the diag help, it is not the blower, but the recirc motor- which controls the opening/closing of the damper.

The key will be getting the part number for the part you need, then a blow up schematic so you can see how to get at it. In the end it may be more than you want to tackle, with the part number ini hand, you may be able to compare prices between an indy shop and the Saab shop. Good luck.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Tnkr1111 and Tonya,

Thanks guys, It seem like SAAB are right. Although they never carried out a complete diagnosis on the car, they were able to confirm the it was the re-arc.

To answer your question 111 when you switch off the climate completely the noise stops.

To those that have suggested changing it you know anyone that can do it cheaper than Saab? ...

And yes Its 11.46 here
sound when the climate control is on? Kill the climate control while the engine is running, does the sound persist, or stop? If it stops, the blower is bad. Today 12:48 AM
toks100, I changed my air recirculation motor myself ( it is fairly easy ), the new air recirculation motor was about £45.00p if i remember correctly. You have to remove the glove box to gain access ( Haynes book gives a good discription of how to remove the glovebox and the air recirculation stepper motor ). Once you have removed the glovebox ( I am persuming your car is right hand drive as you are here in dear old blighty ) you can see the offending stepper motor, if you are not sure which one it is just start the engine and put on the air recirculation and you will see the lever that opperates the air recirculation damper and you will hear that clicking noise.:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts