SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too lazy to look in manual for the answer...

I was trying to adjust my clock for daylight savings time and I noticed that I could either manually adjust the time, or select RDS time. What exactly is that?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Using RDS update takes the time broadcasted from the sender. It's a very smart feature that works well on the Goverment owned stations over here. The commercial ones does not seem to send out the time with RDS as I didn't have any luck sofar.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Can you listen to a CD and this work, or do you have to be listening to the station? I tried to do it yesterday and it did not work... listening at the time to XM radio. Does the source matter?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Seems like you have to be listening to a station that broadcasts the signal at the moment you press the button. Then the time is grabbed from the signal and sets your clock to that time ... then, listen to what you want.

I say this based solely on my personal exp. I had tried the button in the past, with no success; this morning I was listening to a different station than my normal, pushed the button, and the time changed on the display almost instantly. I then changed stations and the clock stayed with the last change ...

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/saabfaq.htm#8

Here's more info about RDS.

A station has to be broadcasting the signal in order to pick it out. It was my understanding that SID will search all the stations until it finds one that is broadcasting. You shouldn't have to be on the right station in order for it to pick it up.

madmax, I see you're in Troy. I've never been able to use this feature anywhere in Michigan.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tried the RDS time set this morning. It set the time, but is was an hour off, as if the radio station hadn't updated its time signal for daylight savings. Good thing there's a manual setting.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you read the manual, it seems that RDS is supposed to search all stations for a signal.

I found in the US at least, you need to be tuned to a radio station with a time signal on their RDS for it to work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Viscouse said:
http://www.mrandmrs-g.net/saabfaq.htm#8

Here's more info about RDS.

A station has to be broadcasting the signal in order to pick it out. It was my understanding that SID will search all the stations until it finds one that is broadcasting. You shouldn't have to be on the right station in order for it to pick it up.

madmax, I see you're in Troy. I've never been able to use this feature anywhere in Michigan.
Thanks everyone for the info. I tried it, but you're right Viscouse, it doesn't work in MI!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Im in Lansing Michigan and I got it to work once.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
At roughly 5:27pm yesterday I tried the local NPR affiliate in Atlanta and they set the time in my car to 12:03am . . . :roll: Nice job folks - broadcast the entirely incorrect time - not even off by the one our time change amount.

Fortunately I tried DaveFM (also Atlanta) next and it worked flawlessly, even though I never listen to that station.

I think you definitely have to be tuned to a station that transmits RDS.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree that you need to be tuned to a broadcasting station. I tried it yesterday am to adjust for the time change and it didn't work (on 2 diff. NPR stations). I then read this thread and tried it on a different station on the way home and it worked just fine. I would suspect that any station that is broadcasting song titles most likely is also sending out the time, but this is only a theory.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
johnc_22 said:
Fortunately I tried DaveFM (also Atlanta) next and it worked flawlessly, even though I never listen to that station.
I'll have to give it a try. A friend is picking up his new 9-3SS this weekend. I'm going along to negotiate the purchase, since he isn't a native English speaker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts