SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9-3 Convertable MY07
I have the radio set for RDS
But it does not seem to sync to RDS - the radio station is often set to radio4 an RDS channel - I have to goto the manual and select RDS to set the time - out by a min or two over a few days.

never had the problem on all my other cars always used RDS for time with no issue

anyone any ideas ?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Are you saying that the clock sets itself correctly from the RDS when you select Set Clock, RDS Adjust, but then drifts off by a minute of so within a couple of days? It is my understanding that the clock only syncs itself once when you choose RDS adjust. I don't believe it will re-sync itself again until you select RDS Adjust again. It sounds to me like your clock is either running too fast or too slow, and has nothing to do with the RDS function. You could try a Manual Adjust to see if it gains/loses time that way also. Generally speaking, todays automotive clocks are usually good to within 1 minute (or better) per month, so to me it would seem your clock is out of spec. I'm not certain which module actually houses the clock; I believe the SID is only a display.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying that the clock sets itself correctly from the RDS when you select Set Clock, RDS Adjust, but then drifts off by a minute of so within a couple of days?
yes that it was happens

It sounds to me like your clock is either running too fast or too slow, and has nothing to do with the RDS function. You could try a Manual Adjust to see if it gains/loses time that way also. Generally speaking, todays automotive clocks are usually good to within 1 minute (or better) per month, so to me it would seem your clock is out of spec. I'm not certain which module actually houses the clock; I believe the SID is only a display.
I thought the point of RDS was that it always synced the clock auotomatically, as I say never had a clock go out on any other car using RDS (at least 7 cars)

I'll try the manual setting

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
etaf said:
yes that it was happens

I thought the point of RDS was that it always synced the clock auotomatically, as I say never had a clock go out on any other car using RDS (at least 7 cars)

I'll try the manual setting
Most stereos do use the RDS time to set the clock of the 'radio' unit. Even though the "stereo" is integrated with other parts of the car, the clock in the SID is not referenced from the RDS time. You can resync it to the RDS time, but it does not remain locked to the RDS.

And yes, the clocks in these cars are not the most accurate. Mine gains about 1-2 minutes a month...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for that, seems to make sense however,
the clock in the SID
i dont think i have a clock in the SID - mines on the sat/nav and Audio system in the centre console.
and if you have it on audio Cd showing the MP3 tracks etc - No time is displayed at all :(

·
Registered
107 Posts
The clock in my car goes faster by 10 min per month. When it is still under warrenty, dealer refused to fix it saying it is unfixable. Plus I have never been able to sync to RDS despite numerous tries.:x Maybe central NJ radio stations don't carry RDS signal?

·
Registered
497 Posts
The clock sync on RDS is dependant on the station and signal strength. Pretty much every station is outputing a signal, but not always a clock. I finally got mine to sync off of RDS last week. Of course within a month it will be off by 10 minutes again. At least it's fast instead of slow and making me late for work.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow - with all the technology in the car - you would think a clock would work.......... anyway, i set on sat and today 2 mins out - when i tried to set up with RDS it could not find a signal - and radio 4 on clear as a bell,,,,

so may well be the radio in saabs not very good, as i say all my other cars work(ed) fine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, the things you learn on this board!:) Now I will have to check my manual to see it I have RDS.

cadcamjim said:
Are you saying that the clock sets itself correctly from the RDS when you select Set Clock, RDS Adjust, but then drifts off by a minute of so within a couple of days? It is my understanding that the clock only syncs itself once when you choose RDS adjust. I don't believe it will re-sync itself again until you select RDS Adjust again. It sounds to me like your clock is either running too fast or too slow, and has nothing to do with the RDS function. You could try a Manual Adjust to see if it gains/loses time that way also. Generally speaking, todays automotive clocks are usually good to within 1 minute (or better) per month, so to me it would seem your clock is out of spec. I'm not certain which module actually houses the clock; I believe the SID is only a display.

·
Registered
980 Posts
wshtb said:
The clock in my car goes faster by 10 min per month. When it is still under warrenty, dealer refused to fix it saying it is unfixable. Plus I have never been able to sync to RDS despite numerous tries.:x Maybe central NJ radio stations don't carry RDS signal?
I wouldn't be too happy about that! I can't tell you the exact accuracy of my clock, but I've never noticed it to be off more than a minute in two or three months. BTW, I'm one of those people that set their watch to the NIST WWV time signal (atomic clock signal broadcast from Fort Collins, CO over shortwave) at least once a week, so not only would I notice an inaccurate car clock, it would drive me crazy. Unfixable? I would think they would only need to replace whatever module is responsible for the clock function.

As far as the RDS signal goes; out of my 24 FM presets, I only seem to get a reliable RDS signal from a couple of them, so it may be that much of the US has spotty RDS coverage at this point in time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as the RDS signal goes; out of my 24 FM presets, I only seem to get a reliable RDS signal from a couple of them, so it may be that much of the US has spotty RDS coverage at this point in time.
Interesting, I'm in the UK,
I think my other cars use the RDS signal and automatically update, its noticeable when the clocks go forward and back - after driving 100yards, my clocks have also automatically changed, and I just remembered the SAAB did not, and a few days before, it was out to the radio time broadcast signal pips before the news, hence my attention starting to be drawn to the issue....

Do the SAABS auto update the clock when we change from summertime to wintertime and visa versa (daylight saving)

·
Registered
980 Posts
etaf said:
Do the SAABS auto update the clock when we change from summertime to wintertime and visa versa (daylight saving)
I've had to do the RDS Adjust function thrpugh the SID to adjust for daylight savings time.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
my RDS is always off. Sometimes its 10min sometimes an hour.

I just manually adjust the clock, and my Sirius automatically updates for me

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
etaf said:
Nope, yo have to do the "RDS Adjust" feature to manually adjust the time to BST/GMT.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, yo have to do the "RDS Adjust" feature to manually adjust the time to BST/GMT.
thats a bit of a waste of time then.... why have RDS....
never had a car that has RDS but cant auto update, even my 10year old video tape recorder updates automatically.

anyway - thanks, i wont worry about that anymore than

1 - 15 of 15 Posts