1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Hopefully all of you can help with my ailing Saab 1999 9-5 Wagon, 2.3 automatic
So if you would like a full amount of the repairs here it is:

But the short of it is, there is an evil rattle still in the engine. To date the repairs are:

dropped the oil pan, plastigaged the big end bearings, in spec
removed timing cover, super loose balance chain eradicated
replaced timing tensioner
compression test, 140 across the board, forgot to push the pedal to let in air for the test
re-installed all components

If we discount the rattle/lag etc, the engine runs great. While running, the engine will sometimes rattle loudly, then lag and almost stall. But most of the time there is a slight hint of rattle. So today I got out the stethoscope (should have done that to begin with), and I narrowed down the location of the noise. It is coming from the transmission end inside the oil pan. Every other spot sounded good with the scope. My next course is to take the flywheel cover off just to check and make sure all the bolts are in the torque converter, but I have a feeling it might be the main bearings. I should have checked those too when I had the pan off, UGH. There were metal bits in the oil pan when I removed it. Hopefully all of the knowledge everyone has out there will help.

Any thoughts?
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
To me that sounds like something is completely loose in there, such as a screw, bolt, ratchet end or similar. Just as an FYI, the 9-2x doesn't share anything motor wise with any other Saab. It's a Subaru imprezza/WRX engine with Subaru engine management.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To me that sounds like something is completely loose in there, such as a screw, bolt, ratchet end or similar. Just as an FYI, the 9-2x doesn't share anything motor wise with any other Saab. It's a Subaru imprezza/WRX engine with Subaru engine management.
I checked everything when I had the pan off, it seemed ok. But I’m dropping the pan again and going to remove the main bearing cap and have a look.

As for “saabaru”, it is definitely not anything related to a 9-2. The only reason I mentioned
image.jpg
that is because the guy I got it from loved Subaru, and did this

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully when I do get in there again, the crank journals are ok

1 - 6 of 6 Posts