SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darn! I think I replace my headlight bulbs every six months or so. I can't believe these lights burn out that easily. Do you think there might be something else wrong? By the way, is there a service bulletin for this supposed problem? The auto mechanic (I no longer go to the dealership) said there might be one.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
What bulbs are you using. Ebay "blue" type bulbs don't last long. Also don't touch the bulb with your fingers ever. This shortens the life.

If you aren't doing either of those, then you may have an issue with the system. You can bypass the stock harness and just use the stock harness to trip the relays for your new harness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
you always need to wear gloves when handling the bulbs. Oil from you hands with cause hot spots and cause them to blow. If you do touch them you can wipe them off with alcohol and a rag just make sure they are completely dry before turning them on.

·
Banned
631 Posts
freed929 said:
you always need to wear gloves when handling the bulbs. Oil from you hands with cause hot spots and cause them to blow. If you do touch them you can wipe them off with alcohol and a rag just make sure they are completely dry before turning them on.
This is the reason

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
03s and 04s are also subject to corroded wiring harnesses at the bulb socket. Any dealer can have you fixed up with new harnesses in no time at what should be a reasonable price...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very interesting....I had to replace 4 headlight bulbs in the first 6 months I had my car. I definitely did not touch the glass of the bulb when replacing them. Now I have a left front turn signal failure. I purchased the bulb only to find I could not figure out how to get to the fixture to change the bulb. I took the car to the dealer where they changed the bulb.....but still no turn signal. They tell me the actual bulb socket is shot and I need to purchase the entire headlight assembly at $535.00....Yipee !!!! This car definitely has electrical issues.

Would be open to any suggestions that would help me beat the man on this one. I really don't trust my local dealer anymore, this is not the first problem I have had or heard about with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had a left low beam and turn signal failure at the same time. Took it to and independant Saab mechanic and they replace the wiring harness and that fixed it. Cost me about $62 I believe. Don't waste your money on replacing the whole assembly.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Triad, if you are in or near Raleigh a master tech from the saab dealership opened an indy shop a couple of years ago... you might want to search "patterson performance raleigh nc" in google... they might be able to help you cheaper than the dealer. He knows our cars like nobody else....

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks Callip, Im actually in Greensboro but the trip to Raleigh wouldn't be totally out of the question. I have a Saabmaster mechanic here in Greensboro who is excellent. I try whenever possible to use him but its hard sometimes because he stays so backed up its usually a month or so wait before he can even look at your car. Thats ok for scheduled maintenance but certian repairs need to be done soon.

I think for starters I am gonna look into replacing the wiring harness.....But I do have a question...If I were to buy a new Headlight Assembly why is it I can't find the one I need aftermarket instead of from the dealer. I called a local company who sells aftermarket body parts and they had one for a fraction of the dealers price. When i went to pick it up it was not the right one. It was a headlight only Assembly. Mine has headlight and turn signal all in one with a wraparound design. The guy there said it was for a 2003 9-3. After doing a little research I find that there are 9-3's from 2003 that have the headlight and tun signal Assemblies that are seperate. I have located several Saab parts sales websites online, when i enter the criteria for my car every one of them shows me this split design headlight assembly. Does anyone know why I can't find the headlight assembly that goes on my car???? other than at my crooked local dealer.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
The other guys all make a bunch of good suggestions. You can't handle the bulbs with your bare hands because the oil will cause them to burn out. It also makes a difference what type of bulbs you buy. You need to remember that Saab lights are on all the time and filaments have a lifespan. Light bulb manufacturers can estimate the lifetime of a bulb very closely. Some just don't last.

I found bulbs at NAPA that have a lifetime guarantee for $9.00 for our old 9-3. They aren't "blue" or someother trendy color, but work were free until we sold the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts